Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, May 1, 2009

Big and Chewy Light Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hey! Did you know it's almost summertime? And it's about to get hot? And you're gonna have to shed some clothing to stay comfortable? And did you know that means it's almost swimsuit season!?!?!! If you're like me, you got really comfortable in your sweatshirts and jeans this winter. And if you're like me, you also got pretty comfortable with cakes, brownies, cookies, pies, and all the other yummies that came and went with the holidays. Okay I know I'm sounding like a New Years' resolution right now, but I'm about to let you in on something incredible so stay with me!!

Hey! Did you know you can eat chocolate chip cookies and STILL look pretty freakin hot in a bathing suit this summer??? Ladies and gentleman, may I introduce you to the "Big and Chewy Light Chocolate Chip Cookie." That's right! It's big (compared to other "diet" cookies), it's chewy, and it's LIGHT! The recipe is from The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book. I made their Low-fat Blueberry Muffins a few months ago, and those were perfect. So I definitely had high expectations when I started making the dough for light chocolate chip cookies. How can chocolate chip cookies be low-fat and still be chewy and delicious? DATES! No, I'm not dissing all my single ladies. I'm talking about nature's candy. Dates are naturally chewy, so it makes sense that adding homemade date purée to the cookie dough would make these cookies super chewy! I might even start adding date purée to other cookie recipes (and maybe even brownies) to make them chewier... it's just a thought.

Thanks to a handy recipe calculator, I roughly estimated the nutritional facts of ATK's regular chocolate chip cookies (recipe converted to yield 18 cookies):
PER COOKIE: Cal 191; Fat 9 g; Sat fat 5.5 g; Chol 27.4 mg; Carb 27 g; Protein 1.9 g
Compare that to the facts for the low-fat version:
PER COOKIE: Cal 120; Fat 3 g; Sat fat 2 g; Chol 15 mg; Carb 23 g; Protein 2 g
So fear not, people! It is possible to eat cookies and look HOT! Oh and while I'm at it I wanna mention my new obsession: Organic dark chocolate chips from Woodstock Farms. I found these on sale at a random no-name grocery store a few weeks ago. I figured these "healthy" chocolate chip cookies were a pretty good excuse to use organic chocolate chips. These chips taste about as dark as regular semi-sweet chips. They're creamy, smooth, and they melted perfectly in the cookies. If you ever come across organic chocolate chips, I definitely recommend trying them! Of course, if you live in a fancy city and have access to stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's then you've probably known about organic chocolate chips looong before me! Good for you! ;P

Browned butter and homemade date purée contribute to the great flavor and texture in these cookies! The lean cookie dough is very crumbly.
It's not sticky at all, so don't be afraid to mix with your hands!
Break the dough balls in half and press the side together. The jagged edges on top help these cookies bake with craggly brown edges.
They look perfect, but how do they taste?
FANTASTIC!
I usually prefer my cookies baked on the lighter side (left). However, these cookies are gonna be chewy no matter what! Baking them for about 18 minutes (right) turns them a nice toasty brown and develops some yummy flavor!
BIG AND CHEWY LIGHT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES (from The America’s Test Kitchen Family Baking Book)
MAKES about 18 cookies (I got exactly 18! It’s a miracle!)
“Dried dates can be found in the nut and dried fruit section of the supermarket. Be sure to buy dates that are still supple. To chop the dates quickly, try using kitchen shears sprayed with vegetable oil spray.”

1 cup water
1/4 cup (1 1/4 ounces) finely chopped dates
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups packed (8 3/4 ounces) light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup (3 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Bring the water and dates to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until the dates are tender and most of the water has evaporated, about 20 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, work the dates through a fine-mesh strainer into a medium bowl. Scrape the dates remaining in the strainer into the bowl (you should have about 1/4 cup puree). Cook the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until nutty brown, about 4 minutes. Let cool.
3. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, beat the melted butter, brown sugar, and date puree together with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl and beaters as needed.
4. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture until combined, about 30 seconds. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips, then mix in the remaining chips until incorporated. (The batter will be very stiff. You can use your hands to mix the chips in because the batter is not sticky at all.)
5. (I refrigerated my dough for several hours before this next step.) Working with 2 tablespoons of dough at a time, roll the dough into balls, tear the balls in half, and press back together with the torn side up. Lay the cookies jagged side up on the pre­pared baking sheets, spaced about 2 inches apart. Press the remaining 2 tablespoons of chips evenly over the cookies.
6. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until the edges are set and beginning to brown but the centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through baking. (If the cookies are underbaked, they will have a gummy texture.)
7. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

To Make Ahead
The bowl of cookie dough can be wrapped tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 3 days; let soften at room temperature (I didn’t have to soften mine; It was scoopable out of the fridge.)
, then portion and bake as directed. The dough can also be portioned and shaped into balls on a baking sheet and frozen; when they are frozen solid, transfer them to a large zipper-lock bag. To bake, arrange the frozen cookies (do not thaw) on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake as directed, increasing the baking time to 20 to 25 minutes.

PER COOKIE: Cal 120; Fat 3 g; Sat fat 2 g; Chol 15 mg; Carb 23 g; Protein 2 g; Fiber 0 g; Sodium 55 mg
Using our classic chocolate chip cookie recipe as a base, we created a great-tasting low-fat chocolate chip cookie. But there was a problem: Since most of the butter had been taken out, within an hour of coming out of the oven, our tender and chewy cookies turned into rocks. The solution? Homemade date puree, made by cooking and mashing dried dates. We replaced three-quarters of the butter in our favorite full-fat recipe with date puree. Then we pumped up the butter flavor by melting and browning the remaining butter. adding just enough richness to mask any hints of date flavor.”--THE AMERICA’S TEST KITCHEN FAMILY BAKING BOOK

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look SO yum!

RecipeGirl said...

I made these once. Bizzare instructions to break them apart and them put them back together, but it all seemed to work out. I though they were pretty darn good for a lighter cookie! I brought them on a camping trip and no one could detect that they were low fat. Nice pics!

Steph said...

I've wanted to make these for the longest time, but I wasn't sure if they would taste or even look good. Yours look like a regular CCC! I have to buy some dates now!

Amanda said...

Mmm... chocolate chip cookies are so comforting. I can just see bringing these to the beach. Now that is enough to get my out of the sweats! :)

Anonymous said...

ooh these sound great! yay i need light chocolate chip cookies! do the cookies taste date-ish? hahaha

Paris Pastry said...

Good idea to make a 'light' cookie this time of year! They look great.

veggievixen said...

look at you, all recipe converting and baking amazing things! thanks for the great tips.

American Homemaker said...

Looks good! I have a lower fat cookie recipe I use all the time. They are super yum and then you don't have to feel TOO guilty for eating them :)

Mermaid Sews said...

Cool - i have to make these for my mom for mother's day - she wanted a light cookie. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

they're "lite" and CHEWYYYY that's a good sign... usually when they have less cals they seem to not hold together well and they become hard. I judge a cookie by it's chewynesssss and these deff. pass the test!!

Lisa Smiley said...

you are so kind to take the time to retype the recipes..it is just too prohibitive in terms of time for me, with two kiddos always tuggin' at me. what a sweet blogger you are..and loved for it! thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm healthy cookies - who would of thought?

CookiePie said...

Those look delicious -- I can't believe they're lightened up!! YUM!

Maria said...

I love my cookies, I will have to try these. They look great!

Snooky doodle said...

THESE COOKIES LOOK SO GOOD! I LOVE CHEEWY COOKIES. I JUST VOTED FOR YOU. HOPE YOU LL WIN :)

Treehouse Chef said...

Wow! These looks delicious! Great nutritional info.

Elyse said...

OH MAN!! How delicious! I'm so excited about a healthy cookie. Usually, I just only let myself taste a bite or two, but now I can have my cookie and eat it too!! Great post. Swim-suit season, here I come (okay, not really, but it sounded good...)

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

Impressive!!!

Anonymous said...

I just made the dough and am going to let it chill until tomorrow night. I used half whole wheat and sustituted one egg for 1/4 cup egg beaters. I also used dark chocolate chips. Can't wait, will update when I try them. Thanks, Cassie-I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Alright just baked them (Anonymous poster above) and they are really an awesome substitute for the real thing. Next time I will use a real egg however because mine didn't spread like a cookie and stayed rounder. The one cookie was very satisfying however and I froze the rest of the dough in individual balls for when a cookie craving strikes! I also might use mini chocolate chips just to get the melted chocolate in every bite.

Anonymous said...

With the one cup of whole wheat flour, egg beaters, and dark chocolate chips, the nutritional stats were:

146.19 calories, 4.12 grams of fat, and 1.31 grams of fiber.

I think the regular cookie recipe with a real egg is around 150 calories, not 120 although I know you said it was rough.

Terry said...

My husband likes his mother's date nut bars at Christmas. You added dates to a chocolate chip cookie. I love using brown sugar for my recipes because of the extra flavor. I will bake these for dad's day. Thanks!

leon aplasca said...

i need calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leon aplasca said...

I hate to have assignment like these