Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Monday, April 27, 2009

CI's "Classic Brownies" for HTEAC's 2nd Birthday!

UPDATE: Two days later, these brownies are quite delicious after they've dried out a bit! ;)

Happy 2nd birthday, HTEAC! My, how you've grown! It seems like only yesterday I was typing ".blogspot.com" after your name. Now you've established yourself on the almighty interweb and changed your last name to ".net!" No matter what, you'll always be my little baby blog!

As always, I really want to say thank you to every pair of eyes that has ever graced my pages, as well as every set of fingers that have typed a comment. Thank you to all of you who don't click "Spam" when you get my e-mail updates in your inbox. Thank you to all of you who send pictures showing what a great job you did recreating the recipes you've seen here! Thank you to the many of you who have actually sent me things by mail, just out of the kindness of your hearts (PS: Maela, I'm going to pick up your package from the post office on Monday!)! And most importantly, thanks to everyone who puts up with my mindlessness when I forget things, like including the amount of flour in the Whoopie Pie recipe! I wouldn't maintain this blog if it wasn't for all of my readers, so give yourselves a hug and then make these brownies!

By now, my most faithful readers probably know that I'm not the biggest chocoholic in the world. Don't get me wrong, chocolate is A-OK in my book. But given the choice between chocolate or vanilla, 8 times out of 10 I'm gonna pick vanilla! On that note, I'm going to tell you why I don't absolutely love these Cook's Illustrated brownies. First of all, I didn't really discover until today that I prefer cake brownies over fudge brownies... meaning I prefer them more on the fluffy side with just a hint of chewy fudginess. These "Classic Brownies" are definitely for fudge-lovers! They're made with cake flour, so that pretty much ditches any hope that they'll be chewy. They are extremely dense and fudgy when baked according to CI's instructions. My inspiration to make these brownies came from Smitten Kitchen, and she mentions that if they're baked longer, they'll be cakey. I'm not going to take that chance. My next brownie venture will be with a recipe that specifically caters to the chewy characteristic of my ideal brownie. And I'll also be looking for a recipe with a little less sugar, because these were almost tooth-achingly sweet.
Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my dear blog!

Classic Brownies (from Cook’s Illustrated)

1 cup (4 ounces) pecans or walnuts, chopped medium (optional)
1¼ cups (5 ounces) cake flour
½ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon baking powder
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into six 1-inch pieces
2¼ cups (15¾ ounces) sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 18-inch length foil and fold lengthwise to 8-inch width. Fit foil into length of 13 by 9-inch baking dish, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhand pan edges. Cut 14-inch length foil and, if using extra-wide foil, fold lengthwise to 12-inch width; fit into width of baking pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. If using nuts, spread nuts evenly on rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven until fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Whisk to combine flour, salt, and baking powder in medium bowl; set aside.
4. Melt chocolate and butter in large heatproof bowl set over saucepan of almost-simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. (Alternatively, in microwave, heat butter and chocolate in large microwave-safe bowl on high for 45 seconds, then stir and heat for 30 seconds more. Stir again, and, if necessary, repeat in 15-second increments; do not let chocolate burn.) When chocolate mixture is completely smooth, remove bowl from saucepan and gradually whisk in sugar. Add eggs on at a time, whisking after each addition until thoroughly combined. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture in three additions, folding with rubber spatula until batter is completely smooth and homogeneous.
5. Transfer batter to prepared pan; using spatula, spread batter into corners of pan and smooth surface. Sprinkle toasted nuts (if using) evenly over batter and bake until toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into center of brownies comes out with few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, then remove brownies from pan by lifting foil overhang. Cut brownies into 2-inch squares and serve. (Store leftovers in airtight container at room temperature, for up to 3 days, or, ahem, in the freezer until your resistance gets the better of you.)


[printable recipe coming soon]

40 comments:

Eliana said...

Happy Birthday HTEAC. I look forward to many more years of blog posts from you :)

Paris Pastry said...

Happy Birthday HTEAC!!! I really enjoy reading your blog and I hope mine will be as fun to read as yours one day! (typing Happy Birthday in all those different colors must be a lot of work and html use :P)

I love the long, lean candles you used!

Dani said...

what a great bday treat :)
happy blogiversary!!!

Steph said...

Happy blogiversay! Time sure flies when you're baking!! I always wanted to try those brownies, but I think I'm more of a cakey brownie fan too. Plus, cake flour is kinda annoying to buy and I rather save it for chiffon and sponge cakes!

Finla said...

Happy B'day to your wonderful and delicous blog.

Teena in Toronto said...

Yum! Yum! Yum!

Happy blogoversary!

Treehouse Chef said...

Happy 2nd anniversary. I am so glad your blog exist. It makes me happy to visit your page and see the delectable treats that you post and read your lovely writing. Have a great day!

kvanned said...

I second Treehouse Chef's message and add that you've given me a lot of inspiration. Thanks & congratulations!!

Sweetie Pah said...

Happy Birthday. I've enjoyed your site so. I used your strawberry cupcake recipe for my Easter Bunny cupcakes. You've been a joy!

Karen said...

Happy birthday! I always enjoy seeing what you're creating, and most of the time, adding it to my "to do" list. :)

kissing cupcakes said...

nom nom! i think i might *pretend* it's my birthday & bake these... no one has to know :D

veggievixen said...

congratulations!! that is fantastic. the brownies are definitely an important part of celebrating!

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday HTEAC! Your blog is definitely one of my absolute favorites and I love all the recipes you share. My go-to spot when I'm looking for some inspiration. :)

Tanya said...

Congratulations on two years blogging! I haven't been reading your blog since the beginning, but it seems like you've come a long way, baby! :) Those brownies look so good!

Lisa Smiley said...

Yummo! These look fab! Just my kind of brownie! I love CI's recipes, too. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

happy happy birthday baby blogie!

The Food Librarian said...

Happy Birthday! Those brownies look fantastic!

A Slice of Concentrated Love said...

Happy Birthday! Those brownies look yummy yummy. (that must be my go-to word). But they do look pretty fudgy, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands.

Amanda said...

The stack of brownies look so cute with those candles in them!

(to be honest, when I first looked at the picture, I wondered why you'd chosen two candles. ugh... I've read a lot of student papers today.)

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to the blog!

i am the world's biggest chocoaholic...and those brownies look soooooo gooooooooooooooooooood

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Happy Blog Birthday! Hope this time next year we'll also be celebrating the grand opening of your bakery!:)
~ingrid

Coco Cake Land said...

WOW!! super awesome! Happy Happy Birthday! it's amazing to see a blog grow. keep up the great work! :)

Claire & Maddy S. said...

Happy Bloggy Birthday HTEAC!! My 7 year old daughter and I really enjoy your blog! Keep bakin' Cassie and please keep blogging about your baking adventures!!! :-)

Maris said...

Happy birthday! You managed to take my two favorite things: Brownies & M&Ms and marry them! I love it!

Mermaid Sews said...

Happy Blogiversary, a great blog, a great blogger. It is a treat to your readers.

Snooky doodle said...

Happy bloganniversary :) these brownies look so good. Nice way to celebrate :)

Elyse said...

Happy two year blogiversary!! Still going wonderfully strong. Great job!! And those brownies look delicious. Way to celebrate (see, I'll choose chocolate 8 out of 10 times :) )!

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary :D

The brownies look extremely good - but I am with you I like the cake version over the fudge version ;)

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

Happy 2nd Birthday HTEAC! Congratulations on such a fantastic blog and may there be many more birthdays for years to come :D

aubrey said...

Yay! So many happy returns!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday darling HTEAC! Your whole blog is wonderful and your posts are always something I look forward to! May there be many more birthdays :)

Anonymous said...

Happy 2nd blogoversary! I have only been reading for a few months but have found lots of inspiring recipes. I'm with you on the brownies - cake vs. fudge. I'm actually in search of the best recipe so if you find it - Blog about it!! :) Meg

Michele said...

So adorable, and creative!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!! Love your site and so happy I found it. Been coming almost 2 months and all your treats look oh....so....good... Chewy brownies are my fav and my BD was in Feb. and I had brownies to celebrate. Keep up the good work.

Justin said...

i'm a first-time visitor, but happy blog b-day

Stef said...

Happy Blog Birthday!!!

Danae said...

Your Blog and I share a birthday! I wish I had had some of these brownies to celebrate with yesterday!

CS said...

Happy birthday Dear HTEAC! You always make my day... yeayyyyy!!!!!

jb said...

Happy second blogoversary! The brownies look delectable!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! The brownies look like they are ready for a party!