Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, August 22, 2008

Good Morning Muffins

Saturday, Josh (my boyfriend) and I decided to take a day trip to Belle Isle in Richmond. It is one of our favorite places to go to relax on the rocks and explore the trails in the woods. I always wake up way before he does, so I decided to kill time by making some hearty muffins to take with us. I started with a recipe from 500 Cupcakes by Fergal Connolly. Neither Josh nor I really love raisins so I subbed some dried cherries, cranberries, and blueberries. I also added some chopped walnuts for a little crunch (Oh now I sound like Giada!). And I was fresh out of wheat bran, so I just added more oats. I ended up not pouring in all of the wet ingredients, because the batter was looking extremely loose. I had about 1/4 cup of wet ingredients left out. The muffins came out delicious and moist, but a little on the greasy side. Next time I'll probably reduce the oil by 1/4 cup. These muffins are a perfect portable snack for a road trip!

Oh yeah....... no pictures. Sorry.

MY NOTES: I omitted the wheat bran and added 1/3 cup MORE oats. I made my own buttermilk by mixing 2 tbsp. white vinegar with 2 cups minus 2 tbsp. whole milk. I substituted mixed berries for raisins. I added chopped walnuts. I got 16 muffins.

Oatmeal Muffins (Adapted from “500 Cupcakes” by Fergal Connolly)
Makes 12-16 muffins


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup wheat bran (I omitted this)
1/3 cup rolled oats (I used 2/3 cup oats)
Pinch of salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 lightly beaten eggs
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 cup (6 oz.) raisins (I used ½ dried mixed berries (cherries, blueberries, cranberries) and plumped them in hot water for about 10 minutes)
½ cup chopped walnuts (My own addition)

Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Grease or line a 12-cup regular muffin pan.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. In a large measuring cup, beat the buttermilk, eggs, and oil with an electric mixer until combined.
Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until almost blended. Fold in the raisins (and nuts).
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove the muffins and cool on a rack.
Store in airtight container for up to 2 days (mine were still good after 4 days!), or freeze for up to 3 months.



Overall rating on a scale of 1-5
Moistness: 5
Tenderness: 5
Frosting: [none]

8 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

Nice recipe . I ve got that book so maybe i ll try both versions. I adore muffins however i haven t founs a perfect recipe yet.

Anonymous said...

AWWW its just not the same without the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Yes! I was just wondering "what can I bake that is cupcake-shaped and has oats in it?" (really, that was my thought process) yummy!

CB said...

I am not a fan of the 500 Cupcakes book (I think its b/c I substitute AP flour for the self-rising flour?) but glad that the muffin recipe is yummy. Maybe I'll have to blow the dust off my book and bake some up! No skimping on the pictures next time, k?! haha.
/Clara

Giordana said...

I love that you bake so OFTEN. I get so tired and stressed with life that, even though I love baking, I just don't have the energy to clean up afterward, or go out to buy certain ingredents. I live vicariously through you!

Dee said...

sniff, want pictures :(

Anonymous said...

if only we could taste pictures.. yummy !

I am trying my best to learn how to cook, thanks for sharing your ideas :-) ... Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

Deeba PAB said...

Bookmarked...love the additions & just what I would do too! Yum!!