Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dean Jacobs® Cupcake Mix: White Chocolate & Raspberry

The winner of Cupcake Poll #19 is... White Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Raspberry Frosting! I bought the Dean Jacobs mix at TJ Maxx a few week's ago. The cupcakes were really easy to make. This was the first time in a long time that a recipe actually yielded exactly as many cupcakes as stated. The box said "Makes 12" and I got 12. What a miracle! The cupcakes came out very nice. They are soft and yummy. But they do not taste like white chocolate. They taste like a plain white cake mix with a very faint hint of raspberry (actually more like strawberry). The frosting doesn't taste like raspberry. It has a strange fruity taste, so I added some extract to help it out. We didn't have any raspberry flavoring, so I used about 1/4 teaspoon of strawberry flavoring. Overall, I'd say they really taste like Betty Crocker cupcakes covered in store-bought strawberry frosting. Delicious... but not quite worth $5.99.

IngredientsMixing for 2 minutes...
Ready to be baked for 16 minutes...
Cooling for 20 minutes...
Tada!
Overall rating on a scale of 1-5
Moistness: 5
Tenderness: 5
Frosting: 2


PS: I'm working on an entry for tomorrow complete with a new recipe! I'll give you a hint... What's cool, creamy, and peach colored?

13 comments:

Jill said...

These are lovely. They look tasty to!

Megan said...

They look like they'd be delicious.

ingegerd said...

they look tasty!!I like the color of the frosting!

Anonymous said...

ooooh those look so good yum!

Gigi said...

The cupcakes look beautiful! I love these boxed cupcake reviews.

Anonymous said...

These are so delicate looking - yum!!

Unknown said...

these look party-perfect!

Marq said...

They look tasty....too bad that isn't ALL that matters. The attractive packaging alone makes it worth the 5.99, though. lol


I just adore your love affair with TJMaxx!

Anonymous said...

I was given this mix as a gift (mostly because of the cute packaging). I agree that the white chocolate flavour would need to be in the minds of the beholders... non-existent in my mind (and I really wanted it to be there). Maybe better with some white chocolate chip additions.

And the frosting flavour was downright strange... I think I ended up throwing out most of the cupcakes after they sat for a few days uneaten (even the 8 year old didn't eat them... hmmm).

Anonymous said...

I just bought these today. Where did you buy the strawberry flavoring?

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Shelly, I got the strawberry flavoring from Wal-Mart on the baking aisle! :)

Anonymous said...

i got this mix at tjmaxx as well...and purchased it for the packaging as well. i am a freak about pink and cupcakes so this was it for me. they do not taste like white chocolate at all but rather strawberry... which i like as well. everything that was stated earlier is correct. they are moist, tender, and beautiful with a unique gourmet taste. well worth the $5.99 especially if it's presentation you're after. name them what u think it tastes like and nobody will know what the box said. i called mine pink berry surprise cakes.

Anonymous said...

I received two boxes of these as a birthday gift from the now closing Linens-n-Things. I got very excited by the pink frosting and made them right away. I had to add two extra tablespoons of water to the frosting mix to get it to the right consistency. When I bit into my frosted cupcake, the frosting was very sweet and chalky as expected, but the cake was extremely salty. I thought it was just the contrast with the very sweet frosting. I took another bite and again it was extremely salty. I broke off a piece of just the cake, and again it was extremely salty. I tasted another unfrosted cupcake to be sure I mixed the batter thoroughly (I am a professional baker), and again it was extremely salty. I had to throw out the entire batch and wrote an email to the distributor. The packaging said it came from lot 70802DA003 and expires February 2009. Did anyone else have a problem?