Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Sunday, June 15, 2008

Chocolate Cream Pie

This pie was not suggested to me, but it is the highest rated chocolate pie on Allrecipes.com (yeah, I went back to it anyway). It was really good, and my dad LOVED it as the second half of his Fathers Day gift. I, however, think the chocolate filling was a bit too sweet. It was almost like really soft fudge. If you have a serious sweet tooth and love chocolate, then this is the pie for you! I'm gonna keep searching for a lighter, smoother chocolate pie.

The pie crust is a whole other story! I decided to be brave and make my own, instead of doing what I would usually do and get one of those refrigerated roll-out crusts. I chose the highest rated recipe for flaky pie crust on Allrecipes.com (Although you guys did suggest some great recipes; I even bookmarked a few!). The first time I made it, I didn't pulse it enough in the food processor. When I rolled it out it kept cracking and ripping. And when I tried to put it into the pie pan.... all hell broke loose. The crust ripped into an unsalvageable mess. I slammed the rolling pin down on the table, forcefully threw the crust into the trash, slammed every cabinet in my kitchen putting all the ingredients away, and almost began to cry... I met my match! I couldn't make a pie crust! After standing in the kitchen for 5 minutes just staring into nothing, I pulled myself together and decided to try again. This time I brought my boyfriend, Josh, into the kitchen to help keep me calm. I pulsed the dough in the food processor until it came together as a ball. That was the trick (Why I didn't do that in the first place, God only knows)! This time the pie crust rolled out perfectly, and when I put it into the pie pan it only ripped where I had folded it. I easily mended that with some scraps from the edges. I think I rolled it too thin though. I still haven't gotten the hang of that. My sugar cookies always come out so flat because I roll the dough paper thin! Anyway, after all the muss and fuss here is the pie I produced!
Ingredients for pie crust, simple enough.But I can't follow directions, so the first attempt was a failure.
Let the dough come together as a ball!
Then wrap it in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
Roll it out into a circle (I could only get a rectangle shape, haha like I said I haven't gotten the hang of rolling out dough yet). Trim to about 1 inch larger than your pie plate.
Ingredients for chocolate filling.
Whisk together the dry stuff.
Add the wet stuff and heat until butter is melted.
Pour chocolate mixture into unbaked pie shell (filling will be thin).
Bake until filling is BARELY wobbly when shaken.
Top with a generous portion of whipped cream!
Dad gets the first slice!
Flaky Pie Crust
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening, chilled
3 tablespoons ice water

(I changed the directions to exactly how I did it. For original instructions, click the link at the top of the entry.) Combine flour, salt, and shortening in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until shortening is the size of oatmeal. Add 3 tablespoons of water and pulse until the dough forms a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and form it into a disk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Working with a floured rolling pin on a well-floured surface, roll the dough into a circle slightly larger than your pie plate. Gently invert your pie plate onto the dough. Using a pizza cutter or pastry wheel trim the dough about 1 inch larger than your pie plate. Fold the dough into fourths and place the corner in the center of the pie plate. Unfold the dough and gently mold it into the pan. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork. Pour filling in and bake according to pie directions.

Chocolate Cream Pie
2 cups white sugar
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup butter

Meringue topping (optional) (I topped my cooled pie with whipped cream instead)
4 egg whites
1/4 cup white sugar

Whipped cream
2/3-1 cup heavy cream (depending on how much whipped cream you like on your pie)
2 Tbsp confectioners sugar
1/2-1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a saucepan, whisk together 2 cups sugar, cocoa and flour. Blend in evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat egg yolks, and stir into pan. Add the butter or margarine. Heat, stirring constantly just until butter is melted. Pour filling into unbaked pie shell (recipe above).
Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until pie is not "wobbly" when shaken (Mine was slightly wobbly after 40 minutes, but it firmed when it cooled).
For meringue topping, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating constantly, until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue on pie.
Return pie to oven, and bake until meringue is golden.

For whipped cream, beat heavy cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla extract with a mixer on high speed until desired thickness; Do not overbeat or it will turn into butter! Spread onto cooled pie. Top with grated chocolate.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

this looks sooooo good!

Sweet Sins said...

I am so glad that you had a mishap the first time... because now I know you are not perfect!! HAHA and I am normal since half of everything I try I mess up!! I think the end result looks awesome Cassie!! Great Job!!! 2 thumbs up... p.s. My Uncle D is the best pie maker and he has a good crust recipe... When I get it from him I will be sure to share!

ingegerd said...

you are sooo god at this!!=D

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing! I can't wait to try this recipe.

the southern hostess said...

This looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a very good crust maker myself. This pie looks scrumptious! I love a good chocolate cream pie. :)

Anonymous said...

I swear someone that came to our house for the 4th made this pie!
I was too embarassed to ask if she read your blog, though... I don't know her that well!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever used carob in place of chocolate?
I know many people avoid carob, but I find that the trick is to find the right brand and then you'll really see that carob can be (almost) as good as chocolate.

The brand I use is from Holy Food Imports,
which comes from Israel, so it does have an excellent and unique taste.

Bake-A-Holic said...

I made this pie yesterday and it was fantastic with a couple of changes.

First only use 1 3/4 cup sugar and
Add a pinch of salt with the flour.

Use 6 Tbs. of cocoa powder.

The whipped cream topping balances out the fudgy chocolate and makes this pie perfect. Great idea. Fabulous pie.

Anonymous said...

Lovely recipe. Easy, rich tasting and delicious. Thanks. But why does Dad get the first bite? Why not Mom? Or better yet, share the honour around giving first dibs to everyone equally.

Anonymous said...

can you make the chocolate cream pie with a graham cracker crust instead? or will it mess up how the chocolate cooks?

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Ali, you could totally use a graham cracker crust :D