Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Showdown: The Battle of Monkey Bread!

Last week, my cousin Stephanie and I went to TJ Maxx. She and I both love to bake (she's the one who instilled in me the desire to own a bakery one day)! We cruised the gourmet food department for lots of baking mixes... hahahaha oh just you wait until you read my next entry! Anyway, one of the things we found was Monkey Bread mix, but we couldn't decide on which flavor to buy. All of the sudden we had a stroke of genious, "You buy one, I'll buy the other. We'll bake them together and see which one is better!" So yesterday she came over and the Battle of Monkey Bread commenced!

In the yellow corner, weighing in at 1 lb. 9 oz., BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MONKEY BREAD!!
In the blue corner, weighing in at an identical 1 lb. 9 oz., CINNAMON CHIP MONKEY BREAD!!
On the left, my Banana Chocolate Chip dough.
On the right, Stephanie's Cinnamon Chip dough.Stephanie, pinching the dough off in Tbsp. size balls and rolling them in raw sugar.Pouring melted butter on top before baking.Time to get down to business! Both pans go in the oven for 30 minutes. Both pans inverted on a plate.


Then drizzled with a delicious glaze!


THE RESULTS: ........IT'S A TIE!!!

Truthfully, one winner could not be established. It was pronounced by all taste-testers that both the Banana Chocolate Chip Monkey Bread and the Cinnamon Chip Monkey Bread were outstanding competitors! If you see these at your local TJ Maxx, I encourage you to try both!

20 comments:

ingegerd said...

its fun to see what yours are doing!!the packing is so happy!!you have so fun stuff over there,here in sweden we dont have so fun stuff in baking!have a nice day!!

Sweet Sins said...

I love the blog... I bet those are good... I was just thinking the other day about trying out a homemade monkey bread recipe... Now I have just given myself a craving for something sweet! Good job ladies!!

jitterbugh said...

I've been looking at Monkey Bread recipes, too, there sure are some easy ones out there. It was funny to see this post because after reading NQN's Banana Bread contest results I was wondering if anyone ever did one for Monkey Bread! LOL. And I love TJMAX too :)...it's heaven for bakers, such neat kitchen treasures to find there--some of my favorite pans, tools, or serving dishes are from that store! Good deals, too, but I've never ever seen Monkey Bread Mix anywhere. There are some easy ones that use crescent roll dough but I've never done it. Time to try I guess! Have you ever made it in a Bundt pan?

Tania said...

Target has a nice Monkey Bread mix too - the Archer Farms Brand. It was yummy, and super easy.

Those look good, might need a trip to TJ's.

Love the blog

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Jitterbugh, what's NQN? I'm curious about the banana bread.

This was the first time I've ever made monkey bread. My uncle's g/f has a recipe that uses canned biscuits and cream cheese. I think her's is made in a bundt pan. If you want to see the recipe, let me know. :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Tania, make sure you look for it at TJ Maxx, not Trader Joe's. For some reason, people think I'm talking about Trader Joe's all the time!

Jannett said...

they both look great...to bad we do not have tj max here in Canada.
I like your blog you are always doing something interesting... :)

Denise said...

Love all the mixes that you posted on flickr. Makes me want to go hunting for treats!

Suze said...

mmmmmm I love Monkey bread!!

Marq said...

I've never tried monkey bread before but dayum does it look yummy!

*runs out to TJ Maxx*

Anonymous said...

What exactly is Monkey Bread? I've never heard of it before, but it looks delicious! Is it like a coffee scroll/brioche texture? Or more like doughnuts?

I don't think we have anything like this in Australia, but I'm starting to wish we did, it looks awesome!

Also, NQN = Not Quite Nigella, another Australian blogger who recently hosted a Banana Bread Bake-off - jitterbug's right, Bonkey Banana Bread would have been a very unique entry :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Fifilacupcakes, Monkey Bread really is the texture of a dense muffin, but with larger holes... like bread. Hahaha well pretty much it's like a very sweet bread. The cinnamon monkey bread really reminded me of a less flaky cinnamon roll! And the banana chocolate chip monkey bread tasted like, well, banana bread with chocolate chips. Haha I guess the only difference between Monkey bread and regular bread is that it's made in sections so it's easy to pull apart, and it's baked with a glaze.

Johnna Knows Good Food: Yum Yum, Gimme Some! said...

Nice blog...cupcakes are fun!

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message to visit our blog. :)

Unknown said...

oh wow...these look amazing...I needed a treat...thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

cute packaging and awesome side by side comparison shots!

Sophie said...

how fun :)...i've yet to make monkey bread!!! but oh, now you've awakened a craving for it! hmm...i was gonna make the cupcakes for daring bakers tonight...now i'm split between monkey bread and cupcakes!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea TJ Maxx carried food!

PAC said...

I just found your blog and ♥love♥ it!! So much fun!!

marae said...

i had no idea what monkey bread was either...but it looks yummy. i am all about easy tear and eat items hehee.