Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Thursday, January 10, 2008

Eggnog Cupcakes w/ Cinnamon Whipped Cream

Every year my family goes to my great aunt's house in northern Virginia for what we call "Thanksmas." It's a holiday we invented between Thanksgiving and Christmas to give us an opportunity to see family we don't get to see on other holidays. I was asked to bring cupcakes, and I decided to bring these eggnog cupcakes. I was hesitant at first, and once you see the amount of butter in the recipe you'll know why, but against my better judgment I made them anyway. They were... okay... but not my favorite. I think with a sweeter frosting (e.g. whipped buttercream) they could've been great! I can't find the pictures I took, but here's the recipe from Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella. I'm sure I'll find the pictures eventually...

Eggnog Cupcakes
Makes 24-30 cupcakes

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup eggnog

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well. Add the rum, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Add portions of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with portions of the eggnog. Mix for 3 minutes.
5. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 - 3/4 full. Baker for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Cinnamon Whipped Cream

1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons confectioners sugar

In a medium bowl whip the cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until thick.

2 comments:

Anty said...

Hi, I'm thinking to make eggnog cupcakes to bring to a drinking party but I'm wondering with the recipe you used, were they not "too eggy"?
I like the idea of the whipped cream frosting though because it can cut the sweetness of any rich cakes.

Thanks.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Anty, these cupcakes were not too eggy at all. They were tasty!