Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Cinnamon & Oat-Topped Banana Cupcakes

This poll was by far the closest ever! The winner with 68 votes (just 1 vote more than the 2nd place flavor) is the Cinnamon & Oat-Topped Banana Cupcake! I voted for them at first, but then I changed my vote to the Sour Cream Cupcakes (have you noticed that I capitalize cupcake names??). Anyway, I guess it's not so bad that the banana cupcake was the winner. The batter was delicious, and the cake had the perfect light and fluffy texture. The crumble topping kinda disappeared into the top of the cake; I think it's existence was rather unnoticeable. I put a tiny bit of cream cheese frosting and some chopped walnuts on most of the cupcakes. Let me shut up and show you some pictures...
ingredients
topped with the oats and ready for the oven cooling.... they smelled SO good! drizzled with yummy cream cheese frosting topped with a few chopped walnuts

Recipe from 500 Cupcakes by Fergal Connolly.

MY NOTES: I omitted the nutmeg simply because I don't like the way it tastes. I replaced it with 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon. I used 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar instead of 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar in the crumble topping. I got 24 cupcakes instead of 18. Mine were done at 16 minutes. I only made half of the frosting recipe.

(The computer I usually scan the recipes to is currently not working, so I have to type them out... *whine*)

Cinnamon & Oat-Topped Banana Cupcakes
Makes 18-24

CUPCAKES
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup superfine sugar (I just put 1 c. granulated sugar into a food processor)
2 cups self-rising flour
4 eggs
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (or cinnamon)
1 cup (about 2 large) mashed ripe bananas

TOPPING
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar (or 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar)
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, very soft
4 Tbsp. rolled oats
1 Tbsp. all purpose flour

FROSTING
1 cup (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp. lemon juice (I omitted this)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 banana, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, for garnish (optional)


Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place 18 paper baking cups in muffin pans. To make the topping, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix until well combined. Set aside. Combine the butter, sugar, flour, eggs, and nutmeg in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the mashed bananas until well combined. Spoon the batter into the cups. Top with cinnamon-oat topping. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Remove pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove cupcakes and cool on a rack.

To make the frosting, slowly beat the cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer until it is soft and smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat briskly until smooth and well combined.

Store unfrosted in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

They look lovely!

Gigi said...

They look yummy, as always!

Carla said...

Mmm I'll have to try these!! I may cut the recipe I half because damn, that's alot of butter!!

Mahek said...

hi
I love your blog...
after reading your recipe i thought of the recipe i saw on Nigella lawsons program which had homemade granolla and the cake with it .