Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Creme Brulee Cupcakes

You guys really picked a good one this time! At first, I was voting for Peche Melba, but when I realized it was going to lose by a landslide I changed my vote to Creme Brulee. (I quelled my desire for Peche Melba by making a peach stuffed French toast with raspberry sauce! You gotta try this.) Anyway, the recipe in Cupcakes Galore called for brown sugar buttercream (eww), so you know I changed it. To what? C'mon, you know me well enough by now. Why, a brown sugar Swiss meringue buttercream, OF COURSE! I haven't tasted these cupcakes yet because I'm on my way out the door to grab some dinner at Moe's Southwest Grill with the b/f... BUT my ex-b/f ate one earlier and said they are fantastic! (He helped me make them, so maybe he's a little biased.) I was worried they would just taste like a vanilla cupcake with brown sugar frosting, but in his words, "They taste like Creme Brulee if you think about it."
EDIT: I just ate one of these..... OMG!! Seriously, the BEST cupcake I've tasted since the Cookie Dough Cupcakes. The cake is perfectly light and moist. Very flavorful! My dad says they're the best yet! Extreeeemely delicious! :)
PS: We're almost at 100,000 page views!!
ingredients They always get that ugly brown ring when I use my Wilton pans. Brown sugar, egg whites, & salt for frosting! I'm in love with Swiss Meringue Buttercream! <333 Had to dust off my Crème Brûlée ramekins...
I bought a Bake & Destroy t-shirt, and Natalie sent me these toppers because she's awesome!
This one's for you lady!
Cupcake recipe from Cupcakes Galore by Gail Wagman.
Frosting recipe from Everyday Baking from Everyday Food.

Crème Brûlée Cupcakes
Makes about 24 cupcakes (the book said 16; I got 23)


2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt, plus a pinch for the egg whites
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons caramel syrup (ice cream topping)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Alternately beat in dry ingredients and milk. Add caramel syrup and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
4. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry. Gently fold whites into batter.
5. Spoon batter into cupcake papers, filling cups about 2/3 full. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.

BROWN SUGAR SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
1 cup light brown sugar
4 egg whites
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

Put sugar, egg whites and salt into the top of a double boiler over a pan of simmering water. Whisking constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm (about 160 degrees). Pour heated egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg white mixture on high speed until it forms stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until fluffy and cooled, about 7 minutes total. Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low, add butter two tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Increase speed to medium-high; continue beating until frosting appears thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and continue beating 1 minute to reduce air bubbles.

38 comments:

LadyCakes said...

this looks delish!!! ill have to try them one day they look so yum!

Anonymous said...

Is it necessary to change and use the paddle attachment when whipping the cream?

Anonymous said...

sounds delectable! can't wait to try these!

Unknown said...

These look so amazing! It was worth the wait to see how awesome these really are! I will have to try them soon!!

Anonymous said...

Thats strange that your Wilton pan leaves those rings. I've never seen that before.

These look great and I'm totally putting these on my to do list.

Tempered Woman said...

I'm curious about the frosting- did it come out gritty at all?

April said...

These look so good! I will definitly have to try them out!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Anonymous, in the TV episode of Everyday Baking from Everyday Food he did not change to the paddle attachment. However, all of the instructions for making SMBC I've seen on MarthaStewart.com said to use the paddle. I do it as an extra precaution. One time I forgot and left the whisk on, and I beat it on high for like 5 minutes and it never thickened up. I realized it and put the paddle on and it came together in about 1 minute... so I dunno. But like I said, I always switch to the paddle.

:)

sheela and emily said...

that is so funny: i have been working on a creme brulee cupcake myself!

Gigi said...

Sounds yummy and too cute to pass up! Great pics of the cupcakes in the ramekins.

shannie cakes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
shannie cakes said...

MOES!! i got proposed to on our way to moes for lunch (he had the ring in his glove box and was acting like A FREAK all day, causing fights due to nerves, haha...)

man i miss creme brulee....!!

Bianca said...

Have you ever had your SMBC turn out sticky?? I made what appears to be a similar frosting from an old cookbook. It was yummy but super sticky. I think the main difference was that it called for cooking the sugar until it reached a particular temp first as opposed to whisking over a double boiler. Maybe that was it.

Ang said...

Creme Brulee is my husband's favorite dessert...after I make these cupcakes he is going to love me even more!!

Anonymous said...

I was inspired by your poll to try a creme brulee cupcake myself. I used a basic yellow cake recipe for the cuppies and filled the liners so they'd rise halfway. Then I made a no-bake creme brulee and filled the rest of the cup to the rim. Once it set, I sprinkled with sugar and broiled it just as you would with regular creme brulee. It was a bit messy, kinda like a thick glaze but delish (afterall, it's a creme brulee ON TOP of a cupcake). What I might try next time is omit the sugar in the creme brulee mixture and stir in as much icing sugar to give it that frosting consistency the npipe that sucker onto the cuppies!

Marq said...

My husband loves Creme Brulee....My husband loves cupcakes! My husband's birthday is coming up soon. This may be an option. They look great!

CB said...

Your cupcake has been chosen for ATC’s Weekly Cupcake Collection! Click the link to see more. Looking forward to your next cupcake creation!

http://tinyurl.com/yqgnd8

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Porcalina, I've never had sticky SMBC. Weird...

JaySpice said...

I didn't get the same result you did. I thought these cupcakes were bland as heck. But the Brown Sugar buttercream was awesome. Just yummy.

Sophie said...

I had creme brulee french toast a few weeks ago at my fav place here in Austin and I loooved it - I will definitely have to put these on my to-bake list :). Thanks for stopping by my blog too! Keep in touch :D.

CaraCakes said...

yummmmmm... creme brulee is one of my favorie flavors! This is on my "got to try" list!

Anonymous said...

I just made these two days in a row...they're fantastic! I was looking around at different cupcake recipes and this was the first I found that I could accomplish on my scantily stocked college kitchen. Everyone raves about the frosting! I baked the first batch in PNCs and it was fun watching everyone try to get the cupcake out...while simultaneously taking small bites of the frosting. I didn't whip it quite long enough the first time, so I ended up with a really fluffy frosting, and the second time I beat it until it was thick...fantastic either way, you can't go wrong!

Anonymous said...

I had to go anonymous because i dont have an acct... but im seriously considering making one because this is AWESOME!!
I just found your site 20 minutes ago and im sooooo glad. Everything here looks amazing! I cant wwait to try every single thing on this site!!
Thanks!!
Kaela

Four Fabulous Foodies said...

I made these for my parents, fiance and siblings. Everyone loved them. I think I am going to make these again and try to inject some custard on the inside.

MMMMMMmmmm :)

Unknown said...

made em',loved em', got GREAT reviews

Kel Baking Life said...

Seriously...You're the best! I will try these. I have a friend that she looooves creme brule. I will let you know what happened! Thansk again!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I recently made these and if anyone is considering making them, do it!

Here was my result: http://enchantress16.wordpress.com/2008/12/16/cream-brulee-cupcakes/

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the recipe
I made these in a cupcake bake-off at work and they totally won me the prize.
They were amazing!

Anonymous said...

These look awesome! I am going to make these for my boyfriend's b-day on Thursday and I have a few questions- Could I make this as a cake? Can I use Egg whites from a package? The ingrediants are "100% egg whites" but I wonder if it would turn out the same as real eggs?
And I don't have a mixer so I'm going to use a spatula instead of a paddle. Is that the best sub?
Thanks!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Hey Chrissy! I've tried using the pastreurized egg whites from a carton, but for me they never fluffed up. I've heard from a few people that it's hit-or-miss with the pasteurized egg whites.
I'm pretty sure you could make this as a cake, but I haven't tried.
The frosting definitely cannot be made without a mixer. It needs to be whipped for a long period of time on high power, so mixing by hand wouldn't be possible. Sorry :(

I hope this was helpful! If you have further questions, my e-mail is howtoeatacupcake[at]yahoo[dot]com

Girl Mix-A-Lot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Girl Mix-A-Lot said...

I made these on friday & they were a big hit. Thank you! I was going to report on making that frosting with a hand mixer... but I ended up buying a KA stand mixer (sale + KA has a $30 rebate right now!) so all I have to add is a comment about the frosting. I thought it was ruined at one point but then i saw I didn't have the mixer on high. I kept it going and it came together a few minutes later. So keep going if you think it looks wierd! A little too buttery for me, but everyone else loved it. Super fun, thanks for the recipe and answering my question!!

Dorothy said...

I just made your brown sugar SMBC to top off some chocolate chip cookie cupcakes. Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)
http://fuzzykoalacakecompany.blogspot.com

Dorothy said...

Forgot to mention--Hope it's okay that I linked to you in my blog!

Steph said...

These are my husband's favorite cupcakes. He tells me I can make them anytime! I was wondering about making this into a cake. . .any tips?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

yeah ok so i just made these and i was so happy because i thought like omg i love creme brulee and cupcakes are the best! but wow am i dissapointed! the frosting is very very runny and tastest like pure butter and maple syrup mixed together! the cupcake itself is very sticky and they dont look very appetizing...i baked then until they were perfectly cooked and when they were cooling on the racks they completely sunk in....they tasted like buttery maple sticky like sponge cake! i would not recommend these for anything other than an experiment in your kitchen out of pure boredom! not good! deff wont be making these again.....waste of time and eggs! haha please take my advice! and if u must make then then i suggest only a half recipe because it makes a lot of cupcakes and then you are stuck with all these unappetizing cupcakes that you would feel bad throwing away but u would be embarrased to give them away!

dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Anonymous, I suggest taking a lesson in baking 101 before you conclude that a recipe is a waste. If your frosting was runny, it wasn't made correctly. The frosting in my photos is what is should look like; fluffy and silky, not runny. As for the cupcakes, if they sank in the middle then they were not, as you said, "perfectly cooked." There could be a few reasons your cupcakes sank. Too much air could've been whipped into the batter during the mixing process, causing them to rise and fall. They may not have been completely baked through. Even if a toothpick comes out clean, check the top of the cupcake by pressing it with your finger. If it feels wet and spongy it probably needs another minute in the oven. Try again!

Steph said...

These cupcakes are amazing! The frosting is awesome, too. I make a lot of different cupcakes. And I make cupcakes frequently. These are my husband's favorite! Sometime mine sink, too, but they are still delicious!