Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Monday, June 25, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting

Not to gloat but..... my cupcakes just keep getting better! I can only take credit for the reproduction of these cupcakes (with help from my cousin, Stephanie). The recipe comes from The Cake Mix Doctor, and you can find it here. I had to search forever to find a recipe for cookie dough frosting. I finally found a great recipe on a message board.

Stephanie mixing the batter me filling the cups a HUGE (maybe too huge) piece of cookie dough in the center of each cupcake making the cookie dough for the frosting after only a few minutes in the oven 10 minutes to go... I thought they would definitely explode before they finished baking. They did overflow, but not too bad. Also, some sank a bit.I'm giving Crumbs Bakery a run for their money.
I'm so glad there are 24 of these little beauties. However, I don't think I'll have that same feeling the next time I try to fit into my bathing suit.
It's so delicious! Definitely the best thing I've made so far!

I'm pretty sure the pieces of cookie dough I used were too big. I followed the instructions for using the 18 oz. log of cookie dough, but they still overflowed. Next time, I'll look for the actual frozen cookie dough pieces the recipe calls for. Also, I think the frosting was a bit too sweet. I added a pinch of salt to cut down the sweetness, but it did nothing. Unless you are the type of person who likes super-sweet frosting, cut down the sugar to 2/3 or 1/2 cup. The cupcake is sweet enough already.

Enjoy!!!

COOKIE DOUGH FROSTING:
cookie dough:
¼ cup butter, softened
¼ cup brown sugar, plus 2 tbsp
2 tsp water
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup flour
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips

frosting:
1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
8 ozs cream cheese, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

For the cookie dough, cream the butter and brown sugar in a small bowl. Add water and vanilla and mix well. Add flour and salt and stir to combine. Stir in 1/3 cup Mini Morsels. Wrap the dough in waxed paper and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Break dough into 1/4 teaspoon sized chunks and place the chunks on a plate or in a plastic container, separating layers with waxed paper.
Store them in the refrigerator until ready to use.

To make the frosting, in a medium bowl beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat); set aside. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream. Fold the frozen cookie dough chunks into the frosting and immediately frost the cooled cupcakes.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You beat me to this one. It was on my to do list for months, lol.
As for adding salt, once it dissolves only makes sweet things sweeter actually. You have to add lots of salt to nullify sugar, and that only then makes it salty.

. . . said...

then what would cut down the sweetness? maybe lemon juice or vinegar . . .? that would actually be helpful to know!

bookgrl said...

These look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Oh, these look so good. I have never seen cookie dough cupcakes before! I have try these. Thanks so much for sharing. :-)

dailycraft said...

Those look so yummy! Can't wait to see what's next... I voted for Smores...

Claudia (The Blog I Never Wanted) said...

Out of curiousity... why did you opt out of the frosting the recipe called for and used the cookie dough frosting instead?

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Claudia, I didn't make the frosting in the recipe because I'm not really fond of American Buttercream. Also, I thought the cookie dough frosting would be a unique choice!

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

I just made these yesterday and we love them. The thing I don't get though is that if they are best warm and gooey, how can you eat them with frosting? By the time they were cool enough to frost, they weren't warm and gooey anymore. I think next time I will frost them as we eat them so they can be warmed up.

Shannon said...

You could try making the same cookie dough from the frosting recipe, not including the chips. Then add cream until it is thin enough to eiher spread or pipe for a trully decadent topping!

I am going to have to try these