Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, July 6, 2007

Samoas Cupcakes, Two Different Ways

And the winner is....... Samoas cupcakes! Brought to you by Chockylit @ Cupcake Bakeshop. And here's how the process went...

ingredients for brown sugar cupcakesthick brown sugar cupcake batter There was enough to fill a little more than 12 cups... ...so we ate the rest! They looked so beautiful in the oven. 12 beautifully golden brown cupcakes cooling lunch break! back to work, cutting out cones for the filling cutting off the tip of the cone ready to be filled!
This is where it gets tricky. I made the coconut topping according to the recipe, but something may have gone wrong. Neither me nor Stephanie liked the smell or taste of this stuff. It didn't remind me of a Samoa cookie at all. Stephanie said it smelled like the Ritz cracker topping her mom puts on baked macaroni & cheese. My dad said it tasted like custard, but he thought it would be good on the cupcake. I didn't want to throw it away, so we decided to use it on half of the cupcakes. We wanted to try something else with the other 6 cupcakes. Stephanie and I hopped in the car and drove to the nearest grocery store (which thankfully was only about a minute away). We bought a jar of Smucker's caramel topping. I toasted some more coconut and mixed 1 cup of it with about 1/2 cup of the caramel topping. This stuff tasted a lot better (still not like a Samoa cookie), but it would be too runny to put on top of the cupcake.
I filled half the cupcakes with my coconut/caramel mixture.
I whipped the ganache (the recipe doesn't call for whipping it) and filled the other 6 cupcakes with it. The 6 with my caramel/coconut in the center got topped with whipped ganache. The 6 filled with ganache got topped with the custardy coconut stuff. the final product of the original recipe the final product of my adapted version
I haven't gotten the final verdict on the coconut topped cupcakes, but Stephanie and I shared a ganache topped cupcake. They were okay, but we both agreed that the Samoas recipe will probably not be used again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why! Why did you have to use the coconut again?! I'm gonna die if you don't make a good chocolate cupcake. PLEASE!!!!!! I beg of you to give me the chocolate goodness!!!

jk. I think your cupcakes are fantastic. You are a way better cook than I am. All I can cook are eggs and roman noodles. hahaha

. . . said...

a) they look great!

b) i would have forgotten about the sandwich and saved my appetite for the cupcakes

=)

Flirt Buttons said...

There is a really good coconut pecan icing out there that might have worked really well. You can get it at the grocery store. It is heaven on chocolate cupcakes. Maybe brown sugar cupcakes with chocolate chips in it and then the coconut pecan icing on top?
-sharon from www.flirtbuttons.etsy.com