Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, July 6, 2007

Tomato & Basil Muffins

Today, I received a brand new copy of the book 500 Cupcakes in the mail. I ordered it on Amazon.com and got free shipping because I signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime. I also ordered Cupcakes by the Cake Mix Doctor, but that hasn't arrived yet. My order totalled $17 and some change (including shipping). I'd say it was a pretty good deal!

It was almost time for dinner, and I knew 500 Cupcakes had a lot of savory "cupcake" recipes. Okay, so you might say it goes against nature to refer to a muffin as a cupcake. But I was eager to put my new cupcake cookbook to use (despite making a time consuming batch of cupcakes barely 24 hours ago). Spaghetti with sun-dried tomato alfredo sauce was on the menu. I looked for a recipe that would go with the meal I was making. I decided to use the recipe for tomato & basil muffins.

Thanks to my dad's all-in-one FAX machine, telephone, printer, copier, and scanner (which has the OCR thing I've seen many bloggers refer to), here is the recipe.
MY NOTES: I used the variation recipe that adds 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese to the soup mixture. The only thing I can recommend is to use an olive oil with a good flavor, because you can really taste it in this muffin (i.e., don't use store brand extra-virgin olive oil like I did).

Tomato & Basil Muffins
Tomato and basil are a classic combination. Treat your basil kindly, and don't chop it too much.

2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
4 lightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
10 3/4 oz. can condensed tomato soup
3 tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes

Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
In a medium bowl, mix the basil, flour, baking powder, and salt with a spoon.
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, olive oil, soup, and sun-dried tomatoes with an electric mixer until well combined. Mix the flour mixture into the soup mixture until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins and cool on a rack.
Serve warm. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.

Makes 1 dozen

4 comments:

Gigi said...

I love that book. The recipes are easy, variable, and small (batch wise).

Anonymous said...

I just tried this recipe with my family tonight, since we were having pasta. It was wonderful! I did make a couple of changes, however: First of all, I halved the recipe, and found that the half recipe made nine muffins. Second, in place of condensed soup, I just used jarred, store-bought pasta sauce, which was great because there were little chunks of tomato in the muffins from the sauce. Overall, I give this recipe a thumbs up!!!
(Sorry for the anonymous post, I don't actually have my own account!)
-bakergirl

Natalie said...

I picked up a cute savory cupcake idea from Clair Crespo's "Hey There, Cupcake"... I top corn muffins with a pesto cream cheese and then top that with a cherry tomato or grape tomato. It looks just like a cupcake but it's secretly a muffin.

Anonymous said...

Dang. You can bake just about anything, can't you?

-Eric