Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Dessert Time at Love Café in Washington D.C.

Over the weekend my mom, my cousin, and I went to Washington DC. Before we left I googled "cupcakes in Washington DC" and found Love Café. From cakelove.com:

Warren Brown is the host of Sugar Rush on The Food Network and the owner of CakeLove and Love Café.
There is a looong story about how we got to this place, but let's just say we started walking in Georgetown and about 30 blocks later we ended up at 15th & U Street with a HUGE appetite.


Mom's dessert: Neil's Hat Trick
White and dark chocolate cakes sandwich vanilla buttercream and fresh raspberries under a glaze of rich chocolate ganache. (from cakelove.com)
This cake was SO good. The vanilla buttercream was the smoothest I've ever tasted, and the fresh raspberries gave a nice POP of freshness between the sweet layers of cake. I could probably eat this cake every day and not get sick of it.
Stephanie's dessert: Turtle Cheesecake
Cheesecake topped with chocolate ganache, pecans, toffee bits, and caramel drizzle with a graham cracker crust.
The cheesecake was okay but tasted too much like lemon. The nuts tasted like a refrigerator. I wouldn't get this cheesecake next time.
My dessert: CUPCAKES!
A vanilla cupcake with strawberry buttercream & a chocolate cupcake with chocolate buttercream.
The buttercream was incredibly smooth and delicious. My mom said it tasted like ice cream. It wasn't tooth-achingly sweet (did I just make up a word?).
After half of the cupcake, I scraped the frosting onto mom's plate, and I just ate the cake plain. Both cakes had a great flavor. I'd order cupcakes from here again, but I'd try the New German Chocolate cupcake instead.

Overall, it was definately worth the walk and the pocket change! :)

4 comments:

. . . said...

yum. makes me wish i lived closer to d.c. thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Hi! You can also use the cupcake finder at CupcakeFetish to find cupcakes in cities you're visiting!

Anonymous said...

i actually just came from love cafe... i had the strawberry cupcakes and they were...ok. the icing was a mix between whipped and butter, making for an odd texture. to top it off, the cupcake itself was cold, but the cake itself didn't taste like anything i had never had before. i did have dinner there, though - and it was ok as well. on a scale of 1 - 10, a 6.5.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Erin, the frosting they use is called Swiss meringue buttercream. It's made by whipping cooked egg whites and sugar until it gets marshmallowy, then adding butter until it turns into a thick frosting. It's my favorite frosting because it's light and not too sweet.

I'm pretty sure there is some kind of law for bakeries in DC (and many other states) about them having to keep certain baked goods at a specific temperature. They do have a sign in the bakery though that says they are best if you let them come to room temp before eating them. :)