Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Cookie Caper '08: Wrap-Up!

I've already said this like a thousand times, but Christmas is seriously the BEST time to bake. The mood just feels so comfortable and perfect if you put on some Christmas music and bake with someone you love. Enough of sounding like a Halmark card, let's get onto the good stuff. My mom and I really baked our brains out this year! We baked aaaalll day and almost all night. We had the best time, as usual, and it was nice that Josh came over to help... even if all he did was keep us company and eat raw snickerdoodles! After hours and hours of baking, our laundry room was FULL of cookies!

My favorite cookies this year were the Gingerbread Women. I never really loved gingerbread until we made these cookies. Now I'll be making it much more often!

My second faves aren't really cookies, but they're freakin good anyways. The red velvet truffles are AWESOME! I made these for our Halloween party and my mom had to have them again for Christmas. They made a nice addition inside our cookie tins.


We always pack our cookies into cute Christmas tins with sparkly tissue paper. We make a list of like 15-20 people and give them all their own special container of cookies. I think this year's cookies have been the best yet! The cookie tins look so perfect. I hope everyone loves them!

And I hope all of you guys enjoy the recipes. If you make any of these cookies, or any Christmas cookies at all, feel free to e-mail me pictures and stories. I'd love to hear what you guys do during the holidays!

17 comments:

Dolce Deb's Designs said...

I love that you are sharing your stories and recipes with us. My daughter Chloie and I bake cookies until there is no room and no more containers to hold them and then we give the away. We have been doing this since my daughter was 3 and she is now 17.

My Mom's side of the family is Italian so we bake many of the family favs. When I was little my Great Grandma (She was from Italy) had so much family and could not afford to buy gifts for all of us. We received something much better a shirt box filled with all of her wonderful cookies. Some times we even all got a pair of crocheted footies as well. She would literally buy 50 to 100lbs bags of sugar and flour and bake and bake and bake.

No one in the family had her recipes written down so one day some us got together with her to get her recipes on paper. She could speak English but could not read or write it. She also used her hands to measure some of the ingredients so we had to convert these measurements into cups and spoonfuls. We had so much fun and I could really appreciate all the hard work she went through every year to bring us these goodies.

All of my Grandmothers are gone now so more than ever we try to keep the family traditions alive. I hope to someday be baking with my daughter and her children and to pass on all these wonderful family recipes.

I hope you and your family have a very happy holiday and may the new year bring you Peace, Love and Joy.

Debbie/Phx AZ

Paradis said...

Yummy!!!!!!!! :p~~~

Christine said...

Homemade Oreos, how cool! Spritz cookies are always a favorite of mine, especially if the dough is left white and you put colored sprinkles in it. Of course, you could do that with colored dough, I just haven't done that before yet.

Now that's what I call an epic baking day! Great job.

Snooky doodle said...

wow how nice . I really envy you. Wish i coul dbake with my mum but she s really not into baking. These cookies are amazing one better than the next. I really love the gingerbread woman . looks so cute :) Well done :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is delicious!

Arlene Delloro said...

Your cookies look awesome. I used to bake like that, beginning after Thanksgiving. I'd freeze tons of cookies, then give them to everyone. I got lots of grumbles when I stopped doing it (had a dissertation to finish), and resumed on a much smaller scale. I just made 2 holiday bags of French sables, but your tins are brimming; mine are just a tease, lol.

CookiePie said...

What a fantastic gift!!! All your treats look so fabulous!

CB said...

Yummy to the tummy! If you have any extra cookies that need a home, I can email you my address ;)
/Clara

Anonymous said...

wanna just send u this comment from Denmark and tell u that u have a wonderful blogg and i really love reading it everyday:-)
i will try to bake some of those yummi cupcake u made!

ur fan from the other side of the continent ;-)

/Zarah

Adam said...

Well I've been away for a little while, and holy cow, look at all the treats you have going on! They are all so amazing looking, and you have something for everyone :)

My vote goes for the 'women' too. I love the spices, and it's not Christmas without them :)

Maria said...

I love all of your treats! I just did a huge round of baking. It was so fun!!

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

i have the munchies now thanks to your round up :)

Anonymous said...

So many amazing cookies! I'm so envious. I would love to bake that much, but I have no one to give anything to! ):

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I would be so delighted to receive that box of cookies. They're fantastic! Bravo! :)

Lot-O-Choc said...

Love the idea that you give people big tins of cookies!! Its such a lovely idea!!

Anonymous said...

I accidentally came across your site one night and the red velvet truffles inspired me! (I'm not the best baker... yet.) I made all sorts of truffles this week, all my own variations, and they are a huge hit!! My husband was SHOCKED that I did it all by myself. ;) Thanks for the lovely inspiration!

Anonymous said...

i always wanted to make these gingerbread cookies, every time i saw it on movies hehe, maybe i'll try this christmas :D