Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I’m Expecting a Bundle of Joy!

Yep, it’s true. I can no longer contain my excitement and happiness. I’m expecting my very own little bundle of joy! Words can’t describe how emotional I’ll be on arrival day. I’m sure there will be screams of joy and amazement. You guessed it! I’m talking about the three cookbooks I just ordered from Amazon.com! Umm… did you think I was talking about something else? Hah…. not! Anyway, back to the excitement. Josh and I went to Barnes & Noble last weekend to browse the rainy day away. The only reason I go to B&N is to look for very cheap books in the bargain books section and to look for cookbooks that I will go home and order from Amazon.com for half the price. Come to think of it, I can’t say that I’ve ever paid full price for one of my cookbooks! As if my cookbook collection isn’t already overtaking the desk in my room, I went ahead and added three more. In a few days I’ll be the proud new owner of Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, Cupcake Heaven by Susannah Blake, and Cakes Galore by Valerie Barrett (this one came from eBay). If anyone has any of these books, please suggest some recipes you’ve tried! I’m so excited. I don’t know how I’m going to keep myself out of the kitchen for the next few weeks!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just bought the Dorie Greenspan book last week and have already made five recipes from it: white chocolate raspberry brownies with meringue on top, cocoa almond meringue cookies, the sweet tart dough, pate a choux, and lemon cream recipe. Oh, and the cream filling for the Paris Brest (I changed the flavors to mango and ginger). So that's about 6 recipes. All of them came out fantastic. I was especially surprised by the brownies, which are really delicious.

Have fun with your books!

Christine said...

Congrats! I feel the exact same way when I purchase a new cookbook. Heck, even when I get one from the library.

The cupcakes on the Cupcake Heaven cover match the title perfectly.

marae said...

you SNEAK!!! i got my email notification and was like OMG she's preggo!!! our pup and my cupcakes are our babies thus far!!

i am excited to see what you think of the cakes and cupcake book...i find and adapt most of my recipes online. the Dorie book though is FAB FAB FAB--are you joining TWD?! Amazon had it for like $11.50 last week.

Dee said...

Congratulations! I'm planing on ordering Dorie Greenspan's too, but am currently accummulating titles to justify the shipping costs to Malaysia :( I dont want to wait any longer!

Bri said...

The Blueberry Crumb Cake in the Dorie Greenspan book is fantastic! Although if you have a Borders nearby, they have that book for only 8 dollars. Thats where I got mine.

Mama Mia said...

ohh how exciting! i love ripping open the packages when the books I order arrive... hehe. Congrats on your bundle of joy!

Melissa said...

Dorie Greenspan's book is incredible. You are going to flip out when you see the endless amazing recipes that she has to offer. I keep that book in my kitchen like a shrine.

You should join TWD..it's so much fun!
P.S.-I seriously LOVE your site. I came across it a few weeks ago and it was immediately tagged as one of my favorites. I made your Nutella SMBC last night for a cake I made and I wanted to bathe in it..it was just THAT good.

Fearghas said...

Oooh Yay! I keep seeing Cupcake Heaven in the bookshop but have yet to buy it - too much time spent at work and not enough time spent making cakes!

Love the site too, it's nice knowing I'm not the only "youngster" (and by that I mean, someone who, if we believe the press, should be out drinking heavily and committing gang crime...) that like making cake :)

Kelly said...

I have Baking From My Home to Yours. It has a lot of great stuff! The strawberry tart, peanut butter torte and sticky buns are what I've made. So far, so good!

Jacque said...

LOL, I do the same thing... browse at the bookstore and then come home and order from amazon. Usually used.

Anyway, congrats on your soon to be new arrivals (wow, triplets!)

Will you be joining Tuesday's with Dorie? It's so fun baking along side others.

Bianca said...

I want that Dorie Greenspan book so bad but I'm terrified I'll never stop eating if I do

Anonymous said...

I won the Dorie Greenspan book from yummr.com It's amazing!!! I read the entire book the night I got it!!!

Anonymous said...

Judging from the last few comments, looks like I have to pick up that Dorie Greenspan book :)

As for the other two? I love the Apple Raspberry cake from the Cakes Galore book - it's a light fluffy cake that goes well with Sunday tea.

And Cupcake Heaven is literally divine. I purposely bought it so I can try new flavours and I'd say the Creamy Coconut Cupcakes were a winner, as well as the Maple Pecan ones, Choca-Mocha and the pear and cranberry cuppies :D

Happy baking!

Sweet Sins said...

*jealous wave takes over... Mouse moving toward the X at the top right of the page... Pouting about to start!!!!*