Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Barefoot Contessa® Country Cake Mix

It's about time for another product review, wouldn't you say? I'm gonna make a link section in the sidebar that lists the things I've reviewed. That way it will make for some very easy browsing when you get bored. Okay, Saturday I had a tiny cookout in my house. SO TINY, in fact, that it consisted of only four people including myself! Regardless, we had fun watching a documentary about two guys with the highest scores on the Donkey Kong arcade game. It sounds completely moronic, but it was actually entertaining. ANYWAY, more about the product since this is a product review! I made a cake using the Barefoot Contessa Country Cake Mix I got on clearance for $3 at TJ Maxx a few weeks ago. It made one 8-inch round cake. It came with an extra packet of stuff that you mix with heavy cream to make whipped cream, but as far as I could tell it was just granulated sugar with some vanilla flavoring... nothing special. I didn't even use it. I split the cake in half (USE STRING, IT'S SO EASY!!), layered it with macerated berries and cream cheese mousse, and topped it with more fresh berries. The cake was very moist like pound cake and was scented with orange zest. The zest paired perfectly with the berries. I definitely give this cake mix an A+. It was worth $3, but I dunno if I would've paid the regular price of $6 for one 8-inch round cake.
IngredientsFirst, you mix 1/2 cup of cake mix with 1 stick of butter. Then add the rest of the cake mix and some water.
It makes enough for one 8-inch cake.Tada!It was really yummy!
For the berries, combine 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 sliced strawberries, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in a bowl. Cover and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Mash berries and spoon mixture directly onto cake layers.

For cream cheese mousse, beat 1 cup heavy cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, beat 8 ounces of cream cheese, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Spread over macerated berries. Keep the cake refrigerated.

Overall rating on a scale of 1-5
Moistness: 5
Tenderness: 5
Frosting: 5

12 comments:

Christine said...

Looks good! I like the filling, it's very quick, summery, and simple.

There's a discount store here called Marshall's. Their cooking section is pretty decent, and sometimes I see box mixes by Martha Stewart and the like. I always am tempted to buy it, a) because it's cheaper than at a regular store, b) if it isn't any better than making a cake myself, it's cheaper than at a regular store!

JaySpice said...

I am intrigued! I am not a fan of box cake mixes and I that bad experience with the Sprinkles cake mix didn't help. It looks yummy though.

Cakespy said...

Ooh, it looks like it came out very nicely! I have been curious about these. They're a lot more expensive than typical (say, pillsbury) cake mixes, do you think it tasted much better? It looks really good.

Megan said...

I had no idea tjmaxx had cake mixes. I drive by one on my way to school. I'll have to stop in sometime. I just thought they sold clothing. :) that looks so good. Mouth is deft watering!

the southern hostess said...

Mmmm...it does look good. I'd been wondering about the Contessa mixes too. I'm glad you tried it out.

ingegerd said...

its look really nice!I hope it taste good!!I love yhe filling!

Anonymous said...

That cake was aboslutley delicious. from the cake mix to the frosting you used oh and the berries hmmmmhh i could go for another piece. :)


[ps its not hard to figure out who i am]

heart you boo.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog - you are too cute! I am a baking addict myself.....

Hmmm. Saw these mixes in an upscale store once, and $6 would have been CHEAP!. Glad to get a good review of the mixes...I love the Barefoot Contessa show, but have never tried her products.

Keep up the good work! :-)

Four Fabulous Foodies said...

Hi there

Have you ever tried a chocolate chili cupcake recipe? Its seems to be a very popular flavor combo in gourmet restaurant desserts. I saw some online on other blogger sites, but they all say the same thing...that the chili taste is not dominant enough. Since, you are so experienced, maybe you could figure out a way to make them taste just right...I dunno just a thought. :)

cheers,

Big fan

Anonymous said...

This cake loooks and sounds delicious. I didn't even know TJ Maxx sold cake mixes. Maybe I'll have to head on over to TJ Maxx and see if they carry food stuff here.

Patrizia said...

Yum! I always wondered about the Barefoot Contessa Mixes.

giz said...

Don't tell me there's a BC book that I don't have. Hmmm... where have I been? The cake looks fabulous and agree - good deal.