Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Saturday, July 19, 2008

Blackberry Frozen Yogurt

We've had a blackberry bush in my front yard for as long as I can remember. I've never been interested in it until this year, as a result of the culinary lightbulb in my brain flicking on. I picked about 3 cups altogether over the span of about 5 days. I macerated them in sugar and lemon juice so they wouldn't start rotting before I figured out what to do with them. Then one day while shopping at the grocery store I noticed the plain yogurt on the dairy aisle. BINGO! I decided to use the berries in frozen yogurt. I couldn't find a recipe, so I just made one up. It tasted so fantastic! It was bright and fruity like sorbet, and creamy like ice cream, but with a tang from the yogurt. You can probably use this same recipe with raspberries, strawberries, or any juicy fruit. It's perfect for summertime!
It looked like some sort of massacre had occured in my food processor!
Doesn't it look freakin good?
Here's the recipe courtesy of muah:

Blackberry Fro-Yo!
Ingredients
3 cups fresh blackberries (I’m guessing that’s how much I collected over about a week of going outside and picking berries from my yard, but I never measured.)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cups plain yogurt (or vanilla yogurt & leave out the extract)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a food processor, combine blackberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Pulse a few times until smooth (seeds will still be whole). Strain over a large mixing bowl and discard seeds. You should get about 1 cup of juice. Stir in yogurt and vanilla. If berries were slightly sour, add more sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until desired sweetness. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Transfer into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.

3 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

I LL GIVE THIS A TRY. It looks simple and refreshing for the hot summer we have here.Thanks for the recipe:-)

the southern hostess said...

Yum! Sounds wonderful and maybe even healthy?

Gigi said...

I love these light bulb moments! And thanks for the link to wordle, I had so much fun!