Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Monday, April 7, 2008

Muffins Galore!

If you watch Everyday Baking from Everyday Food on PBS these muffins will look very familiar to you. I've been kinda "caked out" ever since the last DB challenge (I know, I didn't think it was possible either!). I decided to make two batches of muffins last week instead of cupcakes.

Friday I made Coffee Cake muffins. They came out NOTHING like the muffins on the show, but I think mine were better! Mine had huge crunchy muffin tops. I'm no muffin connoisseur, but I think that's how muffins should be! Let me explain my confusion. The original recipe online says it makes 12 jumbo muffins. I don't know about you, but when I think jumbo muffin, I think HUGE over-sized muffin with a rediculous amount of calories that no one should ever refer to as "breakfast." So, I halved the recipe to make what I thought would be 10-12 regular muffins. However, I ended up with enough batter to make 6 regular-sized muffins with huge tops! I think when the recipe said "jumbo" muffin, they meant "not mini." ...Hmmm whatever.

ingredients + a bowl of streuselFirst layer of batter, middle layer of streusel...
This was topped with more batter and MORE streusel. They were filled to the top!
I thought they were going to explode in the oven.
Au contraire, mon frère! Filling them to the top created these lovely crunchy tops!
Saturday night Josh stayed over, so Sunday morning we made Blueberry Muffins together! He loves blueberry muffins, and he said these were very delicious. My mom liked them too, but all I could think of while I was eating them was cornbread with blueberries in it... Maybe I'm just fond of the articial blueberry flavor in the Eggo waffles and Martha White's "just add milk" muffins??
It was a lazy Sunday so there's only one photo. Sorry!

Both recipes from Everyday Baking from Everyday Food.

COFFEE CAKE MUFFINS
Makes about 12 regular-sized muffins


Streusel Topping:
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

For Muffins:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature plus more for pans
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) plus more for pans (I used Pam for Baking)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
Confectioner's sugar, optional

Prepare streusel topping: In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.

Prepare muffins: Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a jumbo 12 cup muffin tin (or two 6 cup muffin tins). In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, sour cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well combined. With mixer on low, beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
Divide half the batter among prepared muffin cups. Top with half the streusel mixture, then remaining batter and top with streusel. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar, if desired.

Overall rating on a scale of 1-5
Moistness: 5
Tenderness: 4
Frosting: none


DOUBLE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
Makes 12-16 regular-sized muffins

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups fresh blueberries (two 1/2-pint containers), rinsed and dried
1 lemon zest, finely grated (about 1 tablespoon) (I omitted this)
1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a standard (12-cup) muffin tin (or two 6-cup tins) with paper cups. With an electric mixer, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time; beat until combined.
In a shallow bowl, mash 1/2 cup blueberries with a fork until liquefied. Add to butter mixture, along with lemon zest; beat to incorporate (mixture will appear separated).
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture in alternating batches, beginning and ending with the flour. Gently fold in remaining 1 1/2 cups blueberries.
Spoon or scoop batter into cups, and sprinkle tops with remaining tablespoon sugar.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes (Mine were done at 20 minutes). Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out muffins onto a wire rack to cool 20 minutes more before serving.


Overall rating on a scale of 1-5
Moistness: 3
Tenderness: 4
Frosting: none

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

Well, I am just going to start over filling!! The top is the best part.

Just had to write to say your 21 year old advice to a 61 year old baker worked beautifully. You noted that the Creme Brulee CC photo I sent you looked like I had not beat the SMBC long enough. Easter weekend I made some pink SMBC for vanilla CC and they were beautiful. I am now a SMBC master.

Merci beaucoup and bake on...

Jannett said...

I just started watching the everyday baking. I have not yet seen the muffins...I will have to keep watching for the repeat... the muffins look good.... :)

Sweet Sins said...

I love muffins!! I love to make them... these look great! I def think a muffin needs a big top... hence why they have "muffin top" pans... so you can make literally just the best part of the muffin!! They look great :O)

Sweet Sins said...

Look go to http://www.tastespotting.com/ and look on page 250... I submitted your mocha cupcakes and they are featured on their site now!! I love those dang cupcakes!!

Sweet Sins said...

It is post #12202

Sophie said...

Like the new blog header, very cute :).

Unknown said...

gotta love the muffin tops!

marae said...

mmmmm i was out searching for a big top muffin and found these, SO making them this week. thanks darlin'!