Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Sunday, February 17, 2008

Lemon and Black Raspberry Cupcakes

Apologies are in order for this week's cupcake poll mixup. I looked at the poll last night and saw that Lemon Raspberry was beating Lemon Butterflies by a few points, so I assumed that wouldn't change much overnight... Well we all know what happens when we assume! I made Lemon Rasperry cupcakes this morning, and THEN logged into blogger to find out I MADE THE WRONG CUPCAKES! Lemon Butterflies had pulled ahead by 2 votes! Oops... No worries though. You can use the same cake and frosting recipes to make the Butterflies. I'll even add the instructions at the bottom :) Also, in the poll entry I said all the recipes were going to be from Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans, but I got this lemon cupcake recipe from Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella. It's delicious, but you can be mad if you want.
EDIT: I mentioned in the last post that I wasn't a big fan of citrus desserts. Even though these cupcakes did taste good, I still don't prefer the taste of lemon in sweets.
ingredients! I had enough batter for 30 cupcakes, so I had to use my old rusty 6-cup muffin pan.
Lemon cupcakes cooling on the back porch...Cut a cone out of each cupcake, spoon 1 tsp black raspberry perserves, and replace the top.Mmmm... these are so yummy!

MY NOTES: I added 1 tsp vanilla extract to the cupcake batter. I got 30 cupcakes.

Lemon Cupcakes
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or lemon concentrate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (my own addition)


1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time to creamed mixture, beating 1 minute after each addition.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until completely integrated. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix the batter for 30 seconds.
5. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.


Whipped Lemon Buttercream (my own recipe)
Makes 2-3 cups
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/3 cup heavy cream


Cream the butter and confectioners' sugar in an electric mixer on low to medium speed until fluffy. With the mixer on low, add lemon juice and zest, then slowly add the cream. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 1 minute.

WANNA MAKE BUTTERFLIES?
Use a sharp knife to slice the top (about 1/4-inch thick slice) off each cupcake. Dust the top with powdered sugar and cut in half. Put frosting on the cupcakes, and press the tops into the frosting (powdered sugar side up), tilted slightly so they look like butterfly wings.


photo from flickr user indigomuse

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other day when I was making a gooey stuffed cupcake, I cut the top portion and made a bigger scoop in the middle with a melon baller. It worked and I got more stuff in the cake than I had when I just did the cone.

Does that make sense? Just passing along a tip.

The British Vegan said...

These looks delicious but, like you, I'm not a fan of citrus desserts. Did you manage to change your own mind though?

Unknown said...

oh how divine....lemon is my favorite....

what a great blog!

Stef said...

I love the butterflies! I've never seen that before. Very cool!

LolaB said...

Looks great! Definitely will try this recipe :)

April said...

Call me selfish if you like, but, I voted for the black raspberry, so I am so happy that you goofed! :) These cupcakes sound fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Mmm they sound delicious! :D Lemon and berries are love.

marae said...

ooh these look tasty too!! thanks for your note on my blog re: the wilton tip. somehow when i use #21 it doesn't look quite so fab. what tip did you use on these lemon buttercream ones? it looks different? thanks!!

Anonymous said...

For your frosting, how long can the ccakes sit out of the fridge since you use cream in it? Thanks!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Anonymous, these cupcakes need to be refrigerated. You can take them out of the refrigerator about 10-15 minutes before eating them to take the chill off.

trente33trois said...

I just wanted to tell you I used this frosting recipe for my son's birthday today and it was wonderful! We did a second batch with fresh strawberries and it was equally delicious. Light, summer and perfect!

Thank you so much!

Sikanda said...

I made them... and were delicious! I love the texture, moistness and the lemon flavor

AznHyperGirl said...

Hey, girl!! I know you made these in '08 ... but how'd you make the lemon filling on the top of the butterfly?? BTW - I sent you the Martha Stewart cupcake edition magazine a while back. Did it ever make it's way to you??