Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Monday, September 10, 2007

Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes

I was totally swamped with baking cupcakes over the weekend for my dad's 50th birthday party on Saturday. I made 4 different flavors , 152 cupcakes total (56 regulars + 96 minis). Remember the Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes that came in second place in the last poll? Well, I couldn't resist the recipe, so I made them! These cheesecake cupcakes taste okay, definitely nothing like REAL cheesecake. The cheesecake filling baked into the center of the regular cupcake is barely noticeable. But I'll eat anything with canned cherry topping... I'm talking cheeseburgers, cereal, cardboard... anything! I love the stuff!

The Fabulous Dessert Table!! (recipes for the other cupcakes are in the entries above)cherry cheesecake cuppies

Recipe from Cupcakes From The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn.

MY NOTES: I used cheesecake flavored pudding instead of the vanilla pudding. I used vanilla extract instead of the almond extract. I recommend to anyone that makes these, use a traditional graham cracker crumb/butter mixture for the crust instead of the vanilla wafers. The wafers got soggy and didn't taste like much of a crust at all. I filled my cups 2/3 full with batter before adding the cheesecake filling (I got exactly 28). If you don't want these to rise above the cupcake liners, only fill the cups 1/2 full with cupcake batter before adding the cheesecake filling (you'll probably get around 30-32).

CHERRY CHEESECAKE CUPCAKES
Makes 28 cupcakes

FILLING:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

CUPCAKES:
1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
28 vanilla wafers

TOPPING:
Vegetable oil spray for misting a spoon
1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 28 cupcake cups with paper liners. Set the pans aside.

2. Prepare the filling: Place the cream cheese in a small mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer on low speed until the cream cheese has softened, 15 seconds. Add the sugar, egg, and vanilla and continue to beat on low until the ingredients just come together, 1 minute. Set the filling aside.

3. Prepare the cupcake batter: Place the cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil, eggs, and almond extract in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed.

4. Place 1 vanilla wafer in the bottom of each cupcake liner. Spoon or scoop 1/4 cup batter on top of each vanilla wafer. Gently dollop 1 heaping teaspoon of filling on top of each cupcake. The cup will be nearly full. Do not shake the pans. Place the pans in the oven.

5. Bake the cupcakes until they are golden and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 5 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edges of the cupcake liners, lift the cup­cakes up from the bottoms of the cups using the end of the knife, and pick them out of the cups carefully with your finger­tips. Place them on a wire rack to cool for
15 minutes before topping.

6. Mist a teaspoon with vegetable oil spray and use this to press down on the cupcake to create an indentation. Place a heaping teaspoon of cherry pie filling in the well of each cupcake. Dust with con­fectioners' sugar. The cupcakes are ready to be served.

Store these cupcakes in a cake saver at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or freeze them wrapped in aluminum foil or in a cake saver, for up to 6 months. Thaw the cupcakes overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheesecake cupcakes are so in right now. Love the bright red cherries you used. Adds a nice pop of color.

Anonymous said...

First, let me say that I disagree that these wonderful cupcakes taste nothing like cheesecake. They taste like absolutely delicious cheesecake . . . cupcakes! Since I liked them so much, I decided to go online, certain that I'd be able to find a similar recipe to the one my great niece used at her Dad's party last Saturday. Finally got the chance tonight and, imagine my pleasant surprise at finding not just any ole recipe but the very same one by the very same great niece!! Now I wonder if they'll taste anywhere near as good when I make them??? Love you--tell everyone hello!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

WOW! Hahah hey Aunt Christy!!

I'll definitely tell everyone you said hello :D

Shannon said...

maybe the reason why the cheesecake part didn't really come out like "extra wonderful, special, I-just-bought-the-filling-from-a-very expensive-French-pastry-store" because normally (and I think it's to boost the flavor of the graham) bakeries put cinnamon in the cheesecake batter.

I kind of twisted a bit on your style and put a canned cinnamon roll in the bottom of my cupcake cups and put the filling on top of it, garnished the exquisite things with a fresh cherry (just one) and cooked it, my goodness that came out sooo good.

Thanks for all you wonderful bloggers that let us laypeople steal your recipes.