Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Better Than Sex Cupcakes, part deux

Someone actually ordered cupcakes from me finally! I was asked to make 1 dozen of my "Better Than Sex" cupcakes. Last time, I made them all fancy in "king sized" cupcake pans, but they weren't as pretty as I'd hoped. This time I just made regular sized cupcakes and filled them with the cone method. HOLY HECK!! Can I just say now so that it's on the record... This is seriously MY FAVORITE cupcake of all time! It's time consuming because it has so many layers of flavor, but MAN is it worth every second! It's so cool and light and sweet yet refreshing. Perfect for summer!

Want to make some for yourself? Here's what you need:
Yellow cake (from scratch or from a box... whatever)
Crushed pineapple in natural juice
Instant vanilla pudding (I used sugar free w/ 2% milk to cut back on calories and fat)
Whipped cream (1 cup heavy cream makes enough for 24 cupcakes)
Sweetened shredded coconut
Chopped walnuts

Here's what you do:
1. I started with yellow cake... from a box mix... because it was on sale and VERY cheap. Besides, most people I know have never had a 'from scratch' cake in their life, so they don't even know what they're missing.

2. Cut a cone out of each cupcake using the "cone method." For those who don't know what the cone method is, refer to my post about Samoas cupcakes for pictures.

3. Fill each cupcake with 1-2 teaspoons of crushed pineapple. Make sure to include the pineapple juice to keep the cake nice and moist. Don't use TOO MUCH juice or it will make the cupcake soggy. Keep stirring the crushed pineapple with the juice to keep it mixed so you get equal amounts of pineapple and juice in each spoonful.

4. Put the top back on the cupcakes, and put 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla pudding on each. Spread it around to "seal" the top of the cupcake over the pineapple.

5. Spoon or pipe 1-2 tablespoons of whipped cream on top of the pudding. Really, it's just however much you like. No science here, just taste buds.

6. Top with coconut and chopped walnuts. Again, use however much you like.

These must be kept refrigerated, & they taste best when they're cold. That's why I like using a box mix, because it doesn't dry or harden in the refrigerator like some 'from scratch' cakes do.

9 comments:

Gigi said...

Better than sex? :p I am definitely going try these!

cramitinyourface said...

well these look neat! and im glad you like my name! whoo hooo! IM GETTING ADDICTED TO CUPCAKES!! AHHH!! haha ily

Anonymous said...

Really better then Sex???? They must be pretty good! I'm going to make them and only give them to my son and daughter!!!! YAY, they are going to live with me forever!!! Woohoo!!!! Wait, wait maybe not??? Aaaaahhhh what the hell I'm going to make them anyway! LOL!

Gigi said...

How was the peach cobbler? I hope you liked it!

Gigi said...

I'm glad you liked the peach cobbler. Sandi's recipe is awesome!

Natalie said...

The better than sex cake I grew up with was yellow cake, poked several times, covered in caramel so the holes filled with it, topped with whipped cream and crumbled Heath bars. Isn't that weird that they have the same name? Of course, my mom always called it "Better than a handshake cake."

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

natalie, i've heard of that cake also! it is weird that two cakes have the same name! i'm not too fond of caramel OR heath bars, so i think i'll stick with this version :D

Tyler said...

these sound delicious, but WHERE IS THE CHOCOLATE?? i don't understand how you can call a dessert "better than sex" if there is not tons of chocolate ;)

B said...

Love this recipe. Made it a few times, tweaked a few ways. I have come across many recipes with the same name but very different ingredients.