Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Monday, August 11, 2008

My Banana Split Birthday Cake!!

UPDATE: THIS RECIPE HAS CHANGED! Read this post for details and new recipe!

Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday, dear Cassie! Happy birthday to me!

Friday, August 8, was my 22nd birthday. Saturday night I had a small party at my house. And as tradition goes (the tradition I started last year), I made my own cake! Thanks to everyone who left a comment a few entries back suggesting cake ideas. I decided to make a banana split cake. Let's put it this way... I might be making this cake for myself every year until I am so old and mangled that it just wouldn't be possible. It tasted exactly like a banana split! I used the highest rated Hummingbird Cake recipe on Allrecipes.com. I omitted the cinnamon (Have you ever had a banana split with cinnamon on it? Duh, me either). I layered it with whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and chocolate ganache. Then I frosted the whole thing with whipped cream, drizzled on some more ganache, carefully placed a few cherries, and threw on a butt load of sprinkles and HELLO DOLLY! Perfection was reached! The cake is sooo moist, and every single flavor of a banana split is dead on. It's incredible! It tastes delicious right out of the fridge. It's the perfect cake for a summer birthday!

Two unbaked cakes on a cluttered kitchen table.Two cakes cooling on an empty washing machine.Two cakes split into four (with mom's help because I'm no good at splitting cakes).You can see how moist it is.Layered with whipped cream, strawberries, and chocolate.TADA!Closeup!This is the prettiest cake I've ever made!And probably the tastiest!
UPDATE: THIS RECIPE HAS CHANGED! Read this post for details and new recipe!
Hummingbird Cake III from Allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I omitted this)
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (Next time I'll reduce this to 1 cup)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained (REALLY DRAIN IT!)
1 cup chopped pecans (I used walnuts)
2 cups diced bananas

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add eggs and oil; stir until moistened. Do not beat. Stir in bananas, 2 teaspoons vanilla, pineapple, and pecans walnuts.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert and remove pans. Cover cakes with a lint-free kitchen towel to finish cooling.


To make a Banana Split Cake:
When cakes are completely cool, split each layer into two. Thinly spread whipped cream over each layer. Sprinkle chopped fresh strawberries and drizzle ganache (or chocolate syrup) over the whipped cream. Frost the whole cake with whipped cream and drizzle more ganache over it. Add cherries and sprinkles for decoration.


And how about some photos from the party to finish this post!


My mom & my friend LanceJosh & me <333He always finds a way to undress at my parties!The best friends, Beth & Aaron.
Aaron was on prescriptions meds but couldn't resist Jello shooters...My book collection after getting 7 more for my birthday!

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so trying this!!

Tanja said...

Beautiful! My mouth is so watering and I could swear I smell bananas just looking at the photos. :)

Happy Birthday!

Norm said...

Mmmmmmmmm!!!! Looks utterly fabulous! And Happy Birthday too. I can't wait a whole 10 months til my birthday so I may be forced to cook this sooooooon.

marae said...

YAY ... Happy Belated cutie pie.. My hub also had a fab bday. I made him an ice cream cake. Yours looks WONDERFUL!!!!!

Jen said...

WOW! That looks amazing! Definitely making this for my hubby's next bday - he always orders the banana split blizzard at DQ so this is perfect. Gorgeous!

ingegerd said...

Happy Birthday girl!!Your cake is WOW WOW!!!I must try this cake!!=)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Beautiful cake. Sounds yummy too.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!
What a beautiful cake! I'm definitely giving that one a try.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

WOW! That cake was impressive! It looked just like the cakes that you would find at a bakery! You really did a GREAT job. Speaking of job...is that still going well? Any interesting and helpful tips to pass along?

:-)Ingrid

Anonymous said...

Happy 22nd! Your cake is gorgeous. It looks so professional! And it sounds delicious as well. Great work!

Amanda Smith said...

Great Job!! and Happy Birthday!!!!

the southern hostess said...

It looks so tasty! Happy Birthday!

hannah m said...

Holy cow, that looks so good! Happy Birthday!

My daughter turned one on Saturday and I used your cream cheese frosting tips and chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe for her mini cupcakes - thank you - they were delish!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Wow!! :O This looks delicious, I love banana splits so I bet the cake would be insanely good!
Hope you had a nice birthday.

Unknown said...

this looks sooo good! i think your decorating job is amazing! it really looks gorgeous.
happy belated! how's the job going?

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday! This is definitely a cake to be proud of!

heathymarguerity said...

That cake looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
Happy Birthday!

Sydney Hell said...

This looks so wonderful, and yummy, and like you bought it but it will not taste like crappy store bought cake. I wish you lived in California so I could by all my cakes from you.
I love your blog!

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I was looking for a cake to make for my family's September birthday celebration and I think this might just fit the job! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

Kelly said...

It sounds great!! I love this recipe for a Hummingbird Cake. Check it out!! It was VERY highly rated!!

http://www.oprah.com/recipe/food/recipesdesserts/food_20071002_cake

Stephany Benbow said...

Happy Birthday! I love the photo of your cakes cooling on the washer, cause thats where I always put mine! I have almost no counter space in my little apartment, the the washer is right in front of the kitchen window, which makes it a handy cooling spot all around.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

That cake looks gorgeously delicious!!!

Dee said...

omg, I just put on a gazillion pounds looking at the cake! i want.

Snooky doodle said...

seems you enjoyed your birthday. The cake looks delicious.yum yum !!!!!

Kelly said...

What a fun cake, it looks awesome! Happy belated birthday!

Nevis said...

Looks delicious!

Gigi said...

Happy Belated Birthday Cassie!

Honeyed Hashette said...

That cake is GORGEOUS!!! Wow! I am so impressed! Happy Birthday to you!
Again...WOW on the cake. So pretty!

Christine said...

Happy Birthday! What a stellar cake, it's amazing!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday... what a great looking cake!

Chamberlaine Beard said...

Yeah, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes by Julie Hasson is really a gotta-have book!
It's got the classic recipes, but loads of more unique ones too!

The bakery I used to work at actually used it for about half of their cupcake recipes, and their famed frosting is based on the recipe in that book.

I highly recommend it!
:D

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!! What a wonderful, awesome yummy looking cake!

Lucie said...

Happy belated birthday! Your cake looks wonderful! I love the maraschino cherries + chocolate drizzle + sprinkles mix--it looks like a yummy sundae :)

Julia said...

That's the best looking cake I've ever seen!! Happy belated birthday!

Chamberlaine Beard said...

The cake looks delicious, but is this recipe good for making cupcakes too?

I would love to use it, but I am afraid it might be too moist... any idea how it would hold up?

Chamberlaine Beard said...

The cupcakes turned out delicious-ly, thank you so much for the recipe!

I actually did initially reduce the amount of oil to only 1 cup, but the batter looked unusually thick, so I added a little bit of pineapple juice, and when that didn't help, the other 1/2 cup of oil.
Then again, I like my cupcakes dense, so...

And thanks for the whipped cream tip! ;)

Liz said...

You have the exact same birthday and year as one of my good friends and the cake looked delicious!

Anonymous said...

I found this on Google and am dying!!!! YUM! You're a fabulous cake decorator for sure!!!

Anonymous said...

My birthday is the 8th too! Happy Birthday to us, although I'm slightly(21 years) older!