Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Sunday, June 15, 2008

Super Awesome Deluxe Key Lime Pie

This is the best pie in the world! I thought I didn't like citrus desserts... I was wrong! It's perfect for summer, and my dad really enjoyed it as half of his Fathers Day gift (The other half is featured in the next post). The graham cracker crust is made with pecans and coconut, making it super awesome! The key lime filling is perfectly tart and refreshing. And the mascarpone cheese gives it the smooth, creamy texture of cheesecake. Usually I never make the same thing twice, but I believe this pie has achieved 100% perfection. This recipe is definitely one to settle down with!
I went to 3 grocery stores and couldn't find key limes!
Luckily, the last store I was at had key lime juice.Pulse graham crackers, coconut, and pecans.
Add butter and pulse a few more times.
Press crumb mixture into pie plate and bake.
Whisk together the remaining ingredients.
It will start to thicken on it's own.
Bake until the center barely wiggles when shaken.
Cool for 1 hour, refrigerate for 1 hour, then top with whipped cream.
Enjoy!!

This recipe was suggested to me by koryshar. It comes from a great blog called Culinary Concoctions by Peabody. The only thing I'd change about it is maybe less butter and sugar in the crust.

Key Lime Pie

1/2 cup key lime juice, fresh if possible (The kind in the bottle tastes perfect too!)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated lime or key lime zest, divided (I used the zest of 1 whole lime)
5 egg yolks
whipped cream, for garnish (Beat 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 Tbsp confectioners sugar, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract until desired thickness; Do not overbeat or it will turn into butter!)

Crust
1 3/4 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs

1/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/3 cup sugar (I'll reduce this to 1/4 cup next time)
1/3 cup pecans
7-8 TBSP melted butter (I only used 5 Tbsp, I think next time I'll reduce it to 4)

In a food processor, blend together graham cracker crumbs, coconut, sugar and pecans. You want to make sure that none of the coconut is visible. Add about 7 TBSP melted butter. Pulse a few times. If it seems like it needs more butter add the remaining TBSP (Mixture should still be crumbly). Pour contents into a pie pan and press to form a shell. Bake crust for 10 minutes at 400F (I only baked mine for 8 minutes, I'll reduce it to about 6 minutes next time). If you are using mini pie pans, prebaking is not necessary. (After baking my pie crust I let it cool for about 10 minutes before making the filling.)

Whisk sweetened condensed milk with the egg yolks. Whisk in mascarpone cheese. Stir in whipping cream and lime juice. Stir in lime zest. Pour into prepared graham cracker crust and bake at 325° for 15 to 20 minutes. (Filling will still be slightly wobbly; It will firm as it cools.)

12 comments:

JaySpice said...

Sounds yummy. The mascarpone cheese is an interesting addition. I may try this in the near future.

Peabody said...

Glad you liked the pie.

marae said...

oooh a key lime with marscapone and pecans in the crust?!?! i really am not a huge fan of key lime but i might have to try this. i wonder how it'd be with lemon...mmmmmm.

i made my dad a peanut butter torte. gotta love baking for dad!

jitterbugh said...

I've never made a Key Lime Pie before but I may have to now!! I have a question, may be silly... I've never purchased mascarpone cheese...and I don't even know what to look for (even though I gather it's like cream cheese?). Should it be readily available? I've had trouble finding some cheeses for other recipes in my area (Northern Calif) even though we have major chains like Safeway, Raley's, and Walmart, but it is a smaller rural area. Thanks ;)

Anonymous said...

The zest within the custard looks beautiful! The crust I am sure makes a great pie even better. The bottled lime juice you referred to, is it the basic lime juice found in grocery stores or key lime juice?

Sweet Sins said...

Pie

Pie

Me oh my

Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry

all at once o well it’s pie

Apple!

Pumpkin!

Minced

an’ wet bottom.

Come to your place everyday if you’ve got em’

Pie

Me o my

I love pie!!!!

Jen said...

I love key lime pie and marscapone but I never thought of putting them together. Can't wait to try this one, it looks awesome!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Cassie W, it's Key lime juice in the bottle. The bottle is lighter green than regular lime juice. If you can't find it, mixing half lemon juice and half lime juice works well also!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Jitterbugh, I bought mascarpone cheese from Wal-Mart. You can find it near the deli section. It's in the same refrigerated case with the Italian cheeses and ready-made subs and pizzas. It comes in a small round plastic tub.

koryshar said...

I am so glad you enjoyed the pie! It really is the best key lime pie I have ever made or eaten. Some are so sickenly tart that you can't finish a whole slice. Glad you tried it.

Giordana said...

I made this pie after reading your entry and I just bought another bag of key limes so I can make it AGAIN for my parents.

SO GOOD.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us know you'll be taking part in this month's recipe contest :)! Please let me know if you have anymore questions, you can email me at sophiekiblogger@gmail.com! Can't wait to see what you all come up with :).

Sophie
KI Chief Blogger