Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Kahlúa and Cream Cupcakes

Kahlúa and Cream cupcakes are the winners with 39 votes! I hope everyone knows how thankful I am for every single vote! I'm so glad this poll thing is going well! :)

These cupcakes are delicious. My dad asked me to make them again for his birthday next month! This was the first recipe I ever used that called for folding in whipped egg whites. I am very satisfied with the results. The cake is moist but not greasy! I didn't make the white chocolate buttercream that was suggested in Crazy About Cupcakes. It basically consisted of melted white chocolate, butter, and confectioners sugar, which just seemed way too sweet and rich to go along with a Kahlúa and Cream cupcake. I made a chocolate Kahlúa whipped cream. It compliments the Kahlúa and chocolate flavors in the cupcake perfectly (and actually adds the "cream" of "Kahlúa and Cream"). I decorated one similar to the coffee cupcake on the front of the book for photographing purposes only. The rest are adorned with chocolate K's and martini glasses.

ingredients 23 Kahlúa cupcakes cooling (I ate one already!) We didn't have regular Kahlúa, so in the interest of being frugal I used what we already had.chocolate K's and martini glasses (I'm sticking to simple chocolate transfers for now.)
MY NOTES: I used Kahlúa Especial. The recipe originally said something about adding "the remaining sugar" to the egg whites before beating them, but it never said anything about only using part of the sugar in the creaming process. I didn't add any sugar to the egg whites before beating them. For foil liners, reduce oven temp by 25'F, check cupcakes a few minutes early, and remove from pan after cooling for 5 minutes.

Kahlúa Cupcakes

Makes 24 cupcakes

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup Kahlúa
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Insert 24 liners into a medium cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter, cocoa, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and creamy, 3-5 minutes. Add egg yolks and beat for 4 minutes.
3. In a small bowl mix water and Kahlúa.
4. In another large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternating with the Kahlua mixture. Mix on medium speed until ingredients are completely combined.
6. With clean beaters and a large bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until they form soft peaks. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar to make a meringue (see MY NOTES above). With a rubber spatula, fold the meringue into the batter.
7. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.

Chocolate Kahlúa Whipped Cream:
I made this recipe up, and I'm quite proud of myself. This must be refrigerated!

1 cup cold heavy cream
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbsp Kahlúa

Sift together cocoa and confectioners sugar. Beat cream until slightly thickened. Add Kahlúa, cocoa, and sugar. Beat until soft peaks form. (Don't over beat or it will turn into butter!)

17 comments:

. . . said...

i don't know the difference between the two kahlua. but hey-- a good coffee liqueur is a good coffee liqueur.
these look delicious! i'm in a baking hiatus right now, but i am definitely making a liqueur cupcake as soon as i get back to it.

color*ME*cupcake said...

i am in the process of baking this babies! :) i hope i followed ur recipe good enough...cross ur fingers for me!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
How To Eat A Cupcake said...

joanna, i tried to reply on your blog, but it said public access is restricted.

anywho, i hope they turn out great for you! i just ate one like 2 minutes ago. even 2 days later they're still moist and delicious with a PERFECT texture!

color*ME*cupcake said...

ohh yea..i got put it on private since i was avoiding prying eyes...i signed up for wordpress...except im totally lost on the whole xml transferring my lj to wordpress thing...::sigh:: im not good at coding at all :(

Anonymous said...

Goodness chickadee... you are on a roll with the cupcakes! My pop-a likes Kahlua, and since your pop-a approved I'm sure mine will too. This did give me an idea though... to try to put my favorite martini into cupcake form??? Hmmmm, we'll see!

Anonymous said...

I just tried this recipe. PERFECTION! Amazing cuppies. My favorite I've made so far!

Thanks! :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

chase, i'm glad the recipe worked out for you as well! i really loved it!

chubby cheek girls, i'm interested in seeing what you come up with for a martini cupcake!


<333333

Cupcake Mania said...

Hey!! I forgot to tell u, I've tried yr Kahlua & Cream Cupcakes recipe.. They were YUM!! YUM!! YUM!!! And yr self invented Chocolate Kahlua whipped cream, ooooh... NICE!!

marae said...

I just found this fabulous recipe..I made a double chocolate cupcake batter and was looking for a variation on regular (trying diff recipes/ variations /adds to see which I like best)... and saw Kahlua in the pantry. Whala! They are in the oven now, puffing nicely. I love your whipped frosting, I agree anything else would be too much. Thanks for your creativity!!

Paige said...

This recipe looks great! I am planning to make these on Friday for a friend's birthday. Is it ok to make the day before and keep refrigerated, or should I leave them out and just covered? Thanks!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Paige, it's totally okay to make these ahead of time and keep them in the fridge! Just take them out 5-10 minutes before serving so the cake can soften up!

petithamu said...

these look amazing! I'm gonna make them for friends' bbq today. Question, the whipped cream, is it like a frosting, where it's going to harden or is it really soft like whipped cream? Thanks!!

Andrea said...

I went home to visit my parents this weekend and I made these...they were fabulous. My parents are both health nuts and they both ate two of them! The frosting was awesome as well! Seriously, just like whipped cream but the flavor was out of this world. Your blog is going to make me fat.

Ruby said...

I've made tiramisu cupcakes that called for Kahlua, but this recipe looks very interesting.
1. Would it taste like a chocolate cupcake with the coffee taste?
2. Also, I'd like to know what other frosting might pair well with this? I love whipped cream, but it won't stay at room temperature and I would like to bring these to work.

Thanks in advance!
R

Tipsy Tisch said...

WOW WOW WOW! I just made these tonight and I've got to say, these are amazingly good!
I halfed the recipe and got 10 cupcakes, and the frosting recipe given frosted all 10. So I'd say if you're making this recipe then double the frosting recipe given.
I also added Baileys to the frosting and changed a couple more things with the recipe to make it a little more to my liking. These are so good and moist and light. Not too sweet, as I hate sweet stuff.

Thanks so much for the recipe! Definitely will make for my next party!

If you want my revised version I posted it on my blog, Drink. Eat. Blog.

Here is the link: http://drink-eat-blog.blogspot.com/2011/05/chocolate-kahlua-cupcakes-with.html

Erin V said...

I made these a little while ago, and these are by far my favorite "chocolate"-type cupcakes. Next time I will not mix the Kahlua with water because it really took away from the Kahlua taste. These were SUCH a big hit. For the frosting I made a Kahlua-Bailey's whipped cream frosting instead of just Kahlua and it was to die for. These are super moist and fluffy - Probably something to do with the meringue.
Here's my post on my blog of what I did:
http://drink-eat-blog.blogspot.com/2011/05/chocolate-kahlua-cupcakes-with.html
♥♥Tisch