Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Billy's Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue Buttercream

First, may I make a recommendation? These cupcakes + frosting take a while to make. Listen to The DFA Remixes: Chapter Two to keep you going!

Out of the three vanilla cupcake recipes I've tried (Amy Sedaris', a recipe from Nosh With Me, and Billy Reece's recipe) this cupcake has the best flavor, although it's hard to judge the flavor of Amy Sedaris' recipe because I made it with 100 year old flour. Anyways, I'll be using this recipe for yellow/vanilla cake from now on. I asked my dad to tell me one thing that could be better. He said I need to work on making the cake as soft as a box mix cake. Enough about the cake, let's talk about the best part! I topped each cupcake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream, because everyone says it's a less sweet, more fluffy alternative to buttercream. THEY ARE RIGHT! SMBC is my new go-to frosting. I usually am not a fan of regular buttercream (butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, milk), but this frosting I could've eaten by the spoonful. It was well worth the extra 10 minutes to make this!

Billy Reece's vanilla cupcake recipe (halved, makes 12 cupcakes):

3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cake flour
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons ap flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined.
Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
In a large measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla.
With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Martha Stewart's Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe (makes 4 cups):

4 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, (3 sticks), softened, cut into tablespoons
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Put egg whites and sugar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a pan of simmering water. Whisking constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm (about 160 degrees.
Attach bowl to a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg white mixture on high speed until it forms stiff (but not dry) peaks.
Continue beating until fluffy and cooled, about 6 minutes.
Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low, add butter several tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. (If frosting appears to separate after all butter has been added, beat on medium-high speed until smooth again, 3 to 5 minutes more.)
I thought it was ruined when it looked like this, but don't worry. Just continue whipping it. It will come together and be a dream come true! Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low; beat 2 minutes to eliminate air bubbles. Stir with a rubber spatula until smooth.


I think it would've been better with 2 or 2 1/2 sticks of butter instead of 3. I took half out of the bowl to leave as vanilla, and to the half still in the bowl I added 2/3 cups melted (and cooled) semi-sweet chocolate chips and about 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Mix on low speed until combined. I'd advise using less sugar in the beginning stage when turning this into a chocolate frosting because the semi-sweet chocolate adds a lot of sweetness.

9 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I sift the dry ingredients for Billy's anyway. Maybe that will help for the future?

Patricia Scarpin said...

These are luscious - would you mind sending a couple over? ;)

Beautiful blog!

Natalie said...

Tag. Welcome to stupid, gay blogging!
http://nataliecakes.wordpress.com/2007/07/20/yer-it/

Laura Hejl said...

thanks for the swiss meringue buttercream recipe. i am going to have to try that next time. i used magnolia's buttercream last time i made cupcakes and it was unanimous that it was too sweet for our household.

Anonymous said...

Thoes look good, but how many do you make that don't look or taste good? hahahaha

-Eric

Anonymous said...

just made these cupcakes and they were amazing!!

i only made 1/2 of the frosting and used 1 stick of butter and it came out perfectly.

this recipe is definetly a keeper.

Anonymous said...

I just made the Swiss Meringue Buttercream, using 2 sticks butter. I like the way it turned out. I still prefer sweeter icing, but this is so pretty. Thanks for the picture tutorial, it helped.

Anonymous said...

is the top of the cupcake suppose to be sticky after it cooled down?

Anonymous said...

One of my friends already told me about this place and I do not regret that I found this article.