Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Monday, July 5, 2010

Levain Bakery-esque Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies

After seeing Levain Bakery on Food Network's Throwdown with Bobby Flay, I KNEW I had to try and recreate those cookies in my own kitchen. Sorry, but Bobby's cookies were a sad comparison to the giant, chewy, gooey gobs of cookies from Levain Bakery. I did a Google search for "Levain Bakery chocolate chip cookie recipe," and I found a handy little compilation of various copy-cats on Levain's own website. Nice! I settled on a recipe from LisaMichele.wordpress.com. She had already made and RE-made her own copy-cat version of Levain's cookies. The only change I made was to use all light brown sugar because I think that's what the Levain girls said they used in their cookies.The end result was FAB-U-LOUS! Truthfully, I've never had a cookie from the famed Levain Bakery in NY... YET! I say "yet" because Josh and I will be headed to NY in August, and I'm going to try my hardest to get my hands on a world famous cookie! Anywho, these cookies are scrumdiddlyumptious! They've got a thin, crackly crust on the outside, but the inside is gooey and soft. They're not cake-like at all. They've got a nice chew and great flavor. I think I differ from the Levain girls' opinion that vanilla has no place in their CCC. Next time I'll add a teaspoon of the good stuff just because that's what my mouth expects to taste in a choco-chip cookie.All in all, I'm very happy with this recipe. Maybe if I think about it, after I get a REAL Levain Bakery cookie, I'll come back and edit this to see how they compare.

Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies (copy-cat recipe)
I got 21 cookies using a #20 scoop (about 4 tbsp of cookie dough)

2 sticks unsalted butter, cool but slightly softened
2 cups light brown sugar
2 eggs, straight from the fridge
2 3/4 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, mix together butter and sugar on low speed until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat on low speed until incorporated.

Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips and nuts.

Scoop cookie dough onto parchment lined baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the tops are just lightly browned. (For smaller cookies, of course you'll need to watch them because they'll bake much faster.) Cool completely on wire racks. Store airtight until you eat them all!

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched that episode too and was so tempted to try and make a batch....have got to now that you have provided a yummy recipe. Enjoy your blog. Good luck on the bakery! Your passion will carry you far!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

We're big on Alton Brown's chewy recipe - I'll have to compare them, and maybe give this one a whirl!

Unknown said...

my mouth was watering watching that episode! so glad you posted these, i'll be trying them soon!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Now that's a serious chocolate chip cookie!
~ingrid

Sherry G said...

Oh my. That cookie looks seriously amazing! My one aunt is the only one in my family who is allowed to bring CCCs to family events, because hers are so good. I think this cookie would make me the new CCC queen!

Jenny Saunders said...

We caught that throwdown this weekend too! I agree...Bobby's cookies were pathetic. He should stick to the grilling thing! LOL. So glad you put this together...now I gots a new recipe to try. Can't wait to hear about your comparison. You rock Cassie!

Jannett said...

oh my....these look so good....you did an outstanding job... :)

Lot-O-Choc said...

ahhh these look delicious! ihave such a craving for cookies at the moment yum!

Anonymous said...

hmmm, your pic looks amazing. i must have done something wrong. mine were not chewy and didnt look like yours. mine were more cakey and i hate a cakey CCC. HELP! just looking at yours, you can tell they are buttery.....mine just look like any other cookie.

Lucie said...

These look great!! I can't wait to give this recipe a try.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Anonymous, make sure when you're blending the butter, sugar, and eggs that you keep your mixer speed on low. You're not trying to incorporate air into the batter. Hope that helps. :)

Maysem said...

What's AP flour?

Maysem said...

Oooh...All Purpose flour. Sorry, I can be slow sometimes:P

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS! Just made these tonight - I like to try different chocolate chip cookie recipes to find that perfect one. I love a good crisp exterior and chewy cakey interior thick cookie.

The batter --- OMG --- I couldn't stop eating it!

I didn't use walnuts (allergy) and did add 1/2 tsp vanilla. I used Ghiradelli 60% chips, and I'm glad I did as the dough was very sweet, but with the slightly bitter chocolate was PERFECT.

A KEEPER!

Anonymous said...

i made these tonight & the recipe is right on. i wouldn't change a thing. the look & taste of the cookie is so impressive. thankyou very much! - vivian, fl.

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Oh goodness--these look deadly! I am bookmarking the recipe now :-)

Eliana said...

Geez Louise - these look freaking amazing! Need to try them asap as my hubs FAV baked treat is chocolate chip cookies.

So you're coming to NYC? When in August? I'm love to meet you and Josh and have a foodie playdate :)

Roo said...

I agree... Bobby's cookies were a pathetic comparison. Sometimes the crispy ones are good, but they were NO MATCH for those ooey, gooey ones by Levain!!! I'll be trying some soon too.

Anonymous said...

Oh holy cow at these cookies! I was going to share- Now, I am not so sure... I may hide them.
Thanks for sharing :)

Cake Fixation said...

I made these last night and oh my god they are seriously the best chocolate chip I've made. I had to substitute roasted hazelnuts nuts because that's what I had. Incredible!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Kita said...

A chocolate chip cookie sounds like heaven right about now.

Lisa said...

Hi there! This is Lisa Michele and I have to say, your Levain Copycats turned out gorgeous! In the Throwdown episode, they show them using equal parts (or what looks to be equal parts) of light brown and white granulated usgar/ HOWEVER, Ilove the way they look using all brown sugar and no doubt they have moe of a rich molasses taste than mine, which is something I'm trying to remedy in my third attempt to recreate these cookies!! When you taste the real Levain CCW cookie, you'll know what I'm talking about :)

That said, love your blog (I think I have a few cupcake combos I'll need to throw out to you), and LOVE the name of your future bakery! I can't wait to see it come to fruition! Will keep checking back :)

Lisa said...

Hi there! This is Lisa Michele and I have to say, your Levain Copycats turned out gorgeous! In the Throwdown episode, they show them using equal parts (or what looks to be equal parts) of light brown and white granulated usgar/ HOWEVER, Ilove the way they look using all brown sugar and no doubt they have moe of a rich molasses taste than mine, which is something I'm trying to remedy in my third attempt to recreate these cookies!! When you taste the real Levain CCW cookie, you'll know what I'm talking about :)

That said, love your blog (I think I have a few cupcake combos I'll need to throw out to you), and LOVE the name of your future bakery! I can't wait to see it come to fruition! Will keep checking back :)

Anonymous said...

this is my first time trying a recipe from your blog. i've been looking for that 'perfect' ccc and i think this is it! i used chocolate chunks & pecans and added vanilla. this is a keeper, thanks!

AmandaCakes said...

i watched that episode too! They sounded good on there and look good on here! its a rainy day in Cincinnati, I just might make these today!!!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

bobby's cookies were so sad compared to theirs! your copycat version looks fantastic!

Sherry G said...

I made these! Very crunchy, which I liked. However, I did over bake them a bit! Whoops.

Starla said...

Oh I'm so excited to give this a try. I live in NYC and I don't get to get Levain very often. It's just kind of out of the way for me. :) But their cookies are so amazingly delicious and addictive. You definitely have to make sure you get to try them when you come here in August.

Anonymous said...

your cookies look amazing i think i'm goin to try to bake too

Anonymous said...

I just made these. For the first time, a recipe of cookies worked out for me... Thanks!.
I hope to keep cooking and trying different recipes, but I found these really good!

Saludos desde Chile!