Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Thursday, May 27, 2010

Please welcome back to the blog, VANILLA CUPCAKES!

Cheers! Yay! *applause applause* How long has it been since you've seen cupcakes on this blog???? I'll tell you... It's been 10 MONTHS since a cupcake has been spotted here (the last cupcake was seen July 23, 2009)! Cupcakes and I have developed a love-hate relationship. I really wore them out over the past few years, so now I only make them if someones asks. Well no, that's incorrect. If someone BEGS me to make cupcakes, I'll do it.

So... the wife of one of Josh's co-workers has never had a cupcake. *gasp* I know, right!? Anyway, Josh told her if she'd send some lumpia to work with her husband, then he'd bring in some cupcakes from me. Since she's sent in lumpia twice already, I guess it's high time I held up Josh's end of the bargain. And since I recently met her in person, along with his other co-workers who BEGGED me to make cupcakes for them, how could I say no??

I had forgotten all about my old standby recipes for vanilla cupcakes. Did I ever even settle on one? Knowing me, probably not. I rarely settle on recipes, even if by most people's standards the recipes are flawless. I digress...

Since I'm planning on opening my own bakery, I figured it would be a wise idea to learn baker's math. It's something I'll need to know in order to adjust and write my own recipes. I sat down with my copy of BakeWise by Shirley O. Corriher. There is no one in the baking industry I would trust more than her. Plus, my heart flutters a bit when she makes an appearance on Good Eats! ;) After traveling back in time to my community college days and scribbling a page and a half of notes, I felt pretty confident that I could look at any basic cake recipe with ingredients measured by weight, and along with the help of a calculator, I would be able to tell whether or not the recipes were accurately written according to baker's math. I would also be able to tell whether a cake was high-ratio (more moist but with a weaker structure) or lean (less moist but with a strong structure). For more info on baker's math, I strongly suggest anyone who's interested to read BakeWise!

First, I tested a recipe from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. The measurements were accurate, but I didn't like the texture of the cake made using the reverse creaming (or two-stage) method (the cake was very crumbly/sandy and gave a false impression of dryness). Next, I found a good looking recipe in The Cake Book by Tish Boyle. It's ingredients were also accurate (with the exception of the weight of the eggs not being greater than or equal to the weight of the fat, but that's a whoooole other blog entry). This recipe utilized the creaming method, which produces a better mouthfeel, IMHO. This recipe is a winner. It has a soft texture without being SO soft that it crumbles into tiny particles in your mouth. The flavor is delicious, but the cake flour has a very detectable taste. Anyone else notice that about Swans Down? Anyway, I frosted the cupcakes with one of the few go-to's I live by, Swiss meringue buttercream, and sent them off with Josh. I'll update later with his co-workers comments! :)
In the next shot, you can sort see how moist and shiny the cake looks... and those luscious vanilla bean flecks!Basic Golden Cake Layers (from The Cake Book by Tish Boyle)
Makes 2 9-inch cake layers (or about 30 cupcakes)

3 1/4 cups (11.5 oz/325 g) sifted cake flour (notice it doesnt say "cake flour, sifted." SIFT FIRST, and WEIGH it!)
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks/8 oz/227 g) unsalted butter, softened (around 65-67°F)
1 1/2 cups (10.6 oz/300 g) granulated sugar
(I used vanilla sugar)
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups (320 ml) whole milk

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans. Dust the pans with flour.

Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk to combine, and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium-high speed until creamy, about 30 seconds. Gradually add the sugar and beat at high speed until light, about 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs and egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the vanilla extract.

If you have a splatter shield for your mixer, attach it now (the milk tends to splash up as you add it). Add the flour mixture at low speed in three additions, alternating it with the milk in additions and mixing just until the flour is incorporated. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans, dividing it evenly, and smooth the tops.

Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges (my cupcakes baked for about 16-17 minutes). Cool the cakes in the pans on wire racks for 15 minutes. Invert the layers onto the racks and cool completely.

Store at room temperature, covered in foil, for up to 5 days.


Swiss Meringue Buttercream (my own recipe)
Makes enough to frost 30 cupcakes generously

6 egg whites
2 cups granulated sugar
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened but still cool
1 tablespoons vanilla extract

Put egg whites and sugar into the top of a double boiler over a pan of simmering water. Whisking constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm (about 160 degrees).

Pour heated egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg white mixture on high speed until it forms stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until completely cooled to room temperature, about 7 minutes (it may take longer).

Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium, add butter two tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Increase speed to high; continue beating until frosting comes together, about 3 minutes (it may take longer). During this time, the frosting may appear runny or curdled. Just keep beating it. If it seems to be taking too long, let it rest in the refrigerator for 10 minutes before returning it to the mixer on high speed.

Stir in vanilla extract.

35 comments:

Eleanor said...

Soooo pretty! How do you get the icing to look so perfect? Seriously, what's your technique?

Sugar Crawler said...

Hmmmm..lumpia? Does josh's coworker's wife is an indonesian? Just wondering :p

Wow! You always do your smbc perfectly :D

Ellemay said...

I made vanilla cupcakes last weekend too. It's been over a year since I made them but, I topped mine with a mandarin icing.

so delicious

Steph said...

Ooo, so pretty!

I remember that you liked Amy Sedaris's recipe. I like that one for it's simplicity and use of all purpose flour. I also find that Rose's recipes are very soft, but do give a dry mouthfeel.

Did you change your SMBC formula?

Kat said...

They look so yummy. I haven't posted a recipe for cupcakes on my blog in a while too so this will inspire me. Thanks for posting.

Megan said...

I love how you iced the cupcakes, they look great! (And really yummy!)

sweetjeanette said...

I love a good vanilla cupcake... Yours, with that frosting, is a piece of art!!! I agree with the other commentor... tell us how to get such gorgeous frosting! It's beautiful!

Shanna Schad said...

YUM!! They look beautiful. I have to say I had a a few bad experiences with SMBC and stuck with IMBC for a while. I used your recipe not that long ago and had great success. I know use it as my GO TO as well!!

Shanna

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Oh... Great to see you back with some vanilla cupcakes... It's always been so hard for me to get this consistency write with white cake/yellow cake so I'm going to try your recipe....
My questions is the same as above... I just LOVE the piping and wanted to know what tip you used... Or better yet.. Is there a demons. on Youtube for that style of piping??
Thanks and have a great weekend...
Leesa

Astrid said...

thank you so much for posting your recipe in gramms. good luck with your bakery.

Paris Pastry said...

Those look so yummy! SMBC always fails on me when I add the butter :( Any tips?

Logan said...

Those cupcakes look amazing! I tried SMBC last night for the first time and it was a little soupy. It was clocking in at 97 degree's yesterday where I live and to soften the butter I threw it in our garage for a bit. Could the butter have been too soft? The weather maybe? I put it in the fridge for a while and it piped very nicely but it softened again afterwards. The lines of the piping were still visible but not as distinct. Any suggestions?

Amanda said...

10 months... that's crazy. But I totally had an "I HATE CUPCAKES!" moment last summer too. Since then I've really branched out. I used to bake at least one batch of cupcakes a week... those days are long gone.

Anonymous said...

these look awesome! I've missed your cupcakes :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

The frosting looks so pretty.

What the heck is Lumpia? :)Gonna have to google that and how in the world has she reached adulthood without tasting a cupcake?! She was a deprived child. LOL

Happy Friday, Cassie!
~ingrid

Brooke said...

Can you tell me what tip you used to frost these? BEAUTIFUL work :)

mb_in_dc said...

wow, 10 months... I had noticed you hadn't posted cupcakes in a while but I had no idea. I am glad you posted about them again - cupcakes are perfect for summer baking because they are ready in 15-20 mins.

and yes, to join the others, what tip did you use? I always pipe my frosting, it look so impressive and I think it's mush faster than using a spatula.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Eleanor, Lindsay, and everyone else who asked... I used a Wilton 1M tip and started the swirl from the center. As you near the outside, release pressure and press the tip against the swirl to make it look "seamless."

Rookie, I think she's filipina.

Steph, you noticed! I added a bit more sugar, but I won't do it again next time. It was a bit sweet for me.

Paris Pastry and Logan, your SMBC probably isn't failing. If it looks soupy or curdled, you can fix it. In my dropdown menu for frosting recipes, click the SMBC tutorial. If you follow those steps, it should come out just fine. :) Logan, you need to keep the frosting at cool room temp while you're beating it. Somewhere between 60-70 degrees is good.

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

welcome back :D

www.sweetcreationsbystephanie.com said...

I'll have to try this recipe next time I make vanilla cupcakes. Do you like Swiss Meringue better than Italian Meringue?

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Sweet Creations, I've made and eaten both SMBC and IMBC. They taste exactly the same, in my opinion. IMBC just takes FOREVER and it's annoying waiting for the sugar to come to temp, trying to pour the sugar syrup into the running mixer, trying not to hit the beaters... ugh! I'll stick with SMBC. ;)

Stephany Benbow said...

You've come a long ways with your piping! These look great.

slightlyawkward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
slightlyawkward said...

Having tried and failed many a time at making Swiss meringue buttercream, would it be unreasonable of me to request a step-by-step video? Haha, I just need so much help! I can't seem to get it right! And as an aspiring baker, it is definitely something I need to know...

Allie said...

I love Bakewise! I used it as the textbook for a baking class I taught in January. I'd love even more science in it though...I'm a math professor so I can handle the baker's math! :) Oh, and I agree, I don't like the smell of the cake flour, I think I might start adapting all my recipes to get along without it...

Anyway, try Shirley's yellow cake and the pound cake, they're amazing!!

Suze said...

ok..did you MEAN for the icing to look like a beautiful white rose, b/c it totally does! :)

Unknown said...

i cant believe a cupcake can look so beautiful. you mentioned how to do it, and i can only think of all the ways i can make that go wrong. :P i'd love to buy one of these when you open up your own place!

Anonymous said...

this looks so delicious! too bad im down with a sore throat. otherwise i'd definitely be making these soon enough!

Lucie said...

I love how you decorated them--simple and beautiful!

Unknown said...

such gorgeous cupcakes!!

Simply Rita said...

Wow these are gorgeous, love your piping. I'm gonna have to try that on my next batch. And if you ever come across the perfect vanilla/ cake recipe please post it!

Simply Rita Cupcakes-Athens

Lauren said...

OMG these cupcakes look amazing! I haven't baked a cupcake in so many months! And I'm dying for some SWMB! I'm just too pregnant and exhausted to make it for myself. Sadly, no bakeries around me make it.

Aaron John said...

I love your blog so I started following!! :) I love this post. haha. I know all about lumpia since I'm filipino. I've been looking for a vanilla cake recipe and I want to try this one!

sarah the baker yoon said...

I totally know what you mean. I'm sorta the "cupcake" girl in my community, but the secret is that I'm actually so sick of cupcakes. I always felt guilty that I have a love/hate relationship with cupcakes, but I'm relieved that you, the ultimate "cupcake" girl, feel the same way!!

It definitely helps taking a break once in a while with other delicious baked goods.

:)

jade said...

i made these this past weekend. and i would never make them again. they turned out kind of dry and they were very dense.