Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Sprinkles® Red Velvet Cupcake Mix

The winner by a LANDSLIDE of 117 votes is Red Velvet! Thanks to everyone who participated. If you voted for vanilla, no worries. I'm making them next Tuesday, but don't expect vanilla buttercream. ;)

As for these red velvets... what a mess. Sprinkles is trying to sabotage home bakers with this stuff. As soon as you pour the mix into the mixer, be prepared to be engulfed in a red cloud. Then be prepared to have your kitchen counters covered in red streaks. Then be prepared to have red fingers and hands. Then be prepared to have a red dish cloth, sink full of red water, red, red, red, EVERYWHERE! In the end it's not even worth it. I didn't have a problem with the cupcakes being dry. But I did discover that this mix can be stretched to make 16 cupcakes, and they only bake for 14 minutes (not 20 like the recipe says!). I just didn't like the flavor. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something just wasn't great. I did follow the recipe for the frosting, but I only made 3/4 of the recipe. It was plenty to cover 16 cupcakes, and it was tasty.

All things considered, I would not recommend this flavor of Sprinkles Cupcake Mix. It's definitely not worth the $14 price tag. Go buy the Betty Crocker stuff, or use Chockylit's fabulous recipe.
Ingredients Cream the butter; add the mix
Beat on medium for 2 minutes (this is where it goes everywhere!)
The finished batter (this is when you get red hands!)
16 cupcakes ready to be baked
Perfect domes cooling
Almost cool enough to frost...
Tada! This is when you get a red tongue!


Overall rating on a scale of 1-5
Moistness: 3
Tenderness: 3
Frosting: 4

22 comments:

marae said...

damn that last shot looks huge!! are they humongo??? i am still thinking about RV, have not made them yet. last nite i did make amazing lemon, i haven't posted yet.

JaySpice said...

I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks those cupcakes are overrated. I haven't tried the red velvet kind but the funny taste could be dye they use. I takes ALOT of red dye for those cupcakes to come out that color.

Another thing I didn't like about the cupcakes was the mixing process. Creaming the butter with the dry mix?!? The first thing you learn when you start to baking is that once the flour is in the batter DO NOT OVER MIX yet if you follow the instructions that is exactly what you are doing.

Sweet Sins said...

Well they look awesome too bad they did not taste how they look! I love red velvet I think that is what I am going to make next week when I get back from my trip to AZ this weekend to see my sister graduate!

Unknown said...

oh wow! these look fantastic! yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

freakgirl said...

Dude, you are so right about the red cloud. It was IMPOSSIBLE to clean up and for weeks afterwards, if water flew anywhere in the kitchen, it would leave a red streak. Not worth it.

Unknown said...

i love, love, love the colour (red is my favourite!) but i was totally shocked about how many ingredients you have to still add after you buy the mix... which makes them the most expensive cupcakes ever!

Anonymous said...

Ooo I've always loved the name red velvet but I agree, sometimes I get a funny taste from them. Could be the red dye?
I had a really great one this past weekend with a very very light frosting - yum! I'd love to try one of yours - they're delicious looking!

Eunice said...

i zink they look wondahful but i MUST make them so they taste as good too! i will, one day ;) GREAT job on them girl!

Eunice said...

i zink they look wondahful but i MUST make them so they taste as good too! i will, one day ;) GREAT job on them girl!

Anonymous said...

Soooo, based on this cooking review, I think I'll skip these red velvet ones. I haven't tasted too many red velvet cupcakes that I liked. Sprinkles mix is pretty expensive!

kristina said...

Dayuuuuuuum that's an expensive mix. And from your analysis, not even a very good one. Interesting.

Gigi said...

I heard/read bad reviews for the sprinkles cupcake mixes. They look fantastic, it's just a shame the taste didn't live up to the price tag.

Honeyed Hashette said...

I think the sprinkles cupcakes are SO cute with their little dots. The shoppes are so mod with their cute cupcake window and all their flavors. My favorites are their chocolate with chocolate icing and coconut. But I am a little bit nutty myself. :)

maybelles mom said...

yum, though I am not the most giant fan of the sprinkles...btw i am trying to raise cupcake awareness in cleveland. I have a cleveland cupcake contest going...

Tiggs said...

the dark chocolate tastes better than the red velvet and is not as messy, but still is not great. the vanilla is awful. none of the mixes are worth the price tag!

the southern hostess said...

It's too bad that they were so much trouble. They're sure look delicious!

Jacque said...

Interesting. I've never heard of Sprinkles mix. Thanks for sharing.

A&Rtothestars said...

Don't go through all the trouble. Sugarmamas Cupcakes makes the best red velvets and delivers to your door.
www.sugarmamascupcakes.net or 866-960-CAKE (2253)

Anonymous said...

I followed the exact recipe, got 12 cupcakes, didn't make a mess and they tasted perfectly delicious exactly like the ones bought at the Sprinkles store... I live in Dallas and I'm 12 (and made them ALL by myself) and I'm surprised they turned out so well... I read this before making them so I had a few doubts but I ended up making them anyway and it was a success!

Anonymous said...

I have made the red velvet cupcakes twice... and they are excellent!

Anonymous said...

I've had the pumpkin ones from a sprinkles mix and they are yummy!

Anonymous said...

I bought the Sprinkles mix once to get the icing recipe, and I concur that the mix is a MESS. Still finding red in random places in my kitchen and it's been over 6 months. But I've saved the icing recipe and I buy Duncan Hines red velvet mix now. My boyfriend is so obsessed with these cupcakes that we have to make them at least every other month. The icing recipe is the most delicious I've ever tasted on red velvet. My mouth is watering...