Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, May 23, 2008

Mini Cinnamon Rolls

For the past few weeks, I've been haunted by a major craving for cinnamon rolls. Every time I passed the biscuits in the refrigerator section at the grocery store, I could see that little dough boy staring at me from the can of sweet sticky cinnamon rolls. I never bought any because I wanted to try making them from scratch. Finally this morning I didn't have anything to do, so I began searching food blogs for a great recipe. Much to my chagrin, all of the recipes called for yeast. Now excuse me while I go off on a rabbit trail... Last year, I bought some of those little yeast packets. I put them in the cabinet where we keep all the baking powder/soda, corn starch, gelatin, etc. A few months later I wanted to make something with yeast, so I searched and searched and searched and could not find those freakin packets. To make a long story short, I bought them and they disappeared before I got to use them. That's why I didn't have yeast this morning! Great story, eh? Anyway, I decided to use a simple biscuit recipe but tweak it a little, and this is what I came up with. They are really delicious. I ate two while they were hot out of the oven!
Mini Cinnamon Rolls (10-12 small rolls)

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons COLD unsalted butter, cut into 8 cubes
1/2 cup COLD whole milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, to spread on the dough
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins, soaked in hot water until plump, then drained
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
2-3 teaspoons warm water

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 8x8, 9x9, or 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor or in a bowl. Mix well. Add cold butter and pulse in a food processor (a pastry cutter or a fork will work also) until the butter is the size of small peas. Pour in milk and mix just until dough comes together.

Working on a well-floured surface, knead dough 4 or 5 times. Roll into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Using your hands or a pastry brush, smear butter over dough. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over butter and pat it down so it sticks. Sprinkle walnuts and raisins evenly over dough. Starting on the long side of the rectangle, roll into a long log. Cut ends off, and cut remaining log into slices about 1 inch thick.

Place rolls cut side down into a small baking pan about 1/4 inch apart if you want them to touch. Place rolls in a larger baking pan 1 inch apart if you do not want them to touch. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and make glaze.

Whisk together confectioners' sugar and water together to make a paste (add more water 1/2 teaspoon at a time if it's too thick). Spread glaze over warm rolls. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to be resourceful! Those look very good!

Sweet Sins said...

Those look good. I have a recipe on my site for some that are to DIE for. They do call for yeast... Want a yeast tip? It only has a shelf life of about 3 months... If you get it you need to keep it in the fridge... I just get the jar it is about 2 bucks and has the expiration date on it then keep it fridge!! Yours looks great Cassie!

giz said...

I so understand that overwhelming craving of cinnamon rolls. You did a great job!!!

marae said...

those look seriously yummy, C!!! i am tackling the TWD brioche for rolls this wkd. i had to go buy new yeast too...i always have packets from like 2 years ago floating around.

Anonymous said...

Good job on avoiding the grocery store! I always soak my raisins, too. I hate when I bite into a dry, shriveled, burned to the pan raisin! I still have a jar of raisins soaking in Port from, hmmm, I dont remember when?!

Sophie said...

Hehe, I'd never guess you used a biscuit recipe! These look super yummy. Great idea, I'll have to file this recipe away in the back of my head. :)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

hmmm....mysteriously dissapearing yeast! these sound like a great version, and who wants to get up at 4 in the morning just so yeasted buns are ready for breakfast anyway?

Gigi said...

you're like the "MacGyver" of baking! they look absolutely delicious.

Sweet Sins said...

Oohh La la you have changed up the site!! Ummm I do have to say... I miss not coming to your site and having something to vote on!!! :O) hope you had a great weekend

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mm these look delicious!! Youve got me craving cinnamon rolls now!

Sweet Sins said...

Well hurry the heck up with the poll!!! Haha... Like you have to listen to me... So those burgers are pretty darn good if I do say so myself... Yes I am a genius.. All hail at my feet :O) JK I am so glad they worked out well and you liked them... I have wanted to play with it. I hear if you take a slice of bread or two and pull it apart and mix it into the meat it holds the flavor in and keeps the burger together well... It reminds me of the moist maker that Joey on friends invents! I will have to try it that way too!

Anonymous said...

You had me at "butterscotch buttercream." Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Oops...disregard my previous comment. Wrong post!

Anonymous said...

awesome idea.....tried it, great for a quick breakfast but nothing beats the good old fashioned yeast risen cinnamon buns...