Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes (From Scratch)

Mother’s Day weekend, my mom and I went to my grandma’s house in North Carolina. Saturday, we had a surprise baby shower for my cousin and a 4th birthday party for my second cousin. I made Cookies and Cream cupcakes for both; Blue and green minis for the baby shower, and hot pink and lime green cupcakes for the birthday party! The cupcakes were okay, but I like the kind made with cake mix a little more (Ahh blasphemy! Oh well…). Then for Mother’s Day I made a “Better Than Sex” layer cake. It was yellow cake, layered with pineapple and vanilla pudding, and topped with whipped cream, coconut, and walnuts (Sorry, no picture). I finished it off this morning for breakfast!
IngredientsReeeaaally delicious batter!
Baby shower minis
Birthday cuppies
The cupcake recipe is from Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella. I think this recipe was written wrong. It’s not the first typo I’ve noticed in this book. The first recipe below is copied straight from the book. The italicized instructions are the way I made the cupcakes. If anyone has made these exactly how the book tells you to, let me know that it’s not a mistake. It just seemed very odd to me.

I frosted them with vanilla buttercream. Most of you probably know how much I hate regular buttercream, but I was making them mostly for children who LOVE sweet frosting. I searched allrecipes.com for the highest rated buttercream frosting. I came across a recipe for "Special Buttercream Frosting." Guess who doesn't hate buttercream anymore!! It's really delicious!

MY NOTES: I got 16 regular sized cupcakes and 21 minis. The frosting recipe makes enough to frost them all and have about 1 cup leftover. Keep the frosting refrigerated.

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup chocolate sandwich cookies (about 10), lightly crushed

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter, milk, and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to butter mixture. Mix until integrated. Stir in the sugar. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat for 30 sec­onds. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes. Add the egg whites. Beat for 2 more minutes. Stir in the crushed cookies.
5. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 min­utes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Slowly add egg whites to butter mixture, mixing well between each addition. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until only a few streaks of flour remain. Stir in the crushed cookies until batter is evenly blended.
5. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake for about 15 min­utes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes. Finish cooling on a wire rack.


Special Buttercream Frosting
2 cups shortening (I used butter flavored Crisco)
8 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla extract
6 fluid ounces heavy cream

1. Cream shortening until fluffy. Add confectioner's sugar and continue creaming until well blended.
2. Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional whipping cream if necessary (up to 2 ounces).
3. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.


Overall rating on a scale of 1-5
Moistness: 4
Tenderness: 3
Frosting: 4

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

they look so yummy i wish i could eat them right now * mouth watering

Anonymous said...

omg looks so delicious! i love the way you frosted them - so pretty! especially the baby shower minis!

Sophie said...

I don't know what it is, but I just can't seem to get that perfect cupcake swirl on top of my cupcakes...so I end up covering them with tons of sprinkles, hoping noone will notice my lack of skills ;). I have yet to find the perfect cupcake frosting...do you have any tips by any chance? :D

Anonymous said...

Ahh... and one of my favorite ice-cream flavors as well :)

The minis are so gorgeous looking - yum!

marae said...

love them!!! think i could put butter instead of shortening into that buttercream? i am soo not a shortening fan!

was it pretty stiff when done?

marae said...

oh and sophie i am still working on my swirls too but a part of it is the TIP you use. i love the 1M but there is an even bigger one by a foreign brand name that is fab for SUPER big swirls.

giz said...

I love what you did with the birthday cuppies - so cute and the colour is terrific. It looks like one of the Disney colors. I'm wondering why you used the imitation clear vanilla extract? Wiltons puts out a really good clear vanilla.

Anonymous said...

Did you just omit the milk called for in the original recipe? You don't have it listed in the italicied part....

Anonymous said...

great colours...
I don't like shortening either, but I use butter instead and it's stiff enough.
Great ideea with the coockies in the batter.Must be yummy....

Anitha said...

Yummy looking cupcakes!! Looks good :-)

Anitha

Molly Moo Vintage said...

WOW those look delicious! I have just bought my first cup cake book so i hope to be trying out some recipes in the near future.

Anonymous said...

i just made your mint chocolate chip cuppie's for my boyfriends birthday and they turned out amazing! one of the best cupcakes i've ever had :D

Unknown said...

these look really good! i love the green frosted ones... i think your decorating looks really nice.

kristina said...

These look really good! I love the frosting colors.

And I'm sure you could use the pound cake recipe for cupcakes! That actually sounds really good to me at this moment. mm.

simplylove said...

These look scrumptious!

& thanks for the comment, I really always thought it was due to over beating...for some unknown reason, so thankyou :)

Honeyed Hashette said...

Your better than sex cake is different from what I make. Mine is a pecan crust with a cream cheese icing layer, topped with a chocolate pudding layer, topped with cool whip and chopped nuts. So seriously good.

Frosted said...

I've definitely had some issues with recipes from Crazy About Cupcakes, especially a vegan white cupcake. It's so disappointing when they print the recipe wrong and you end up wasting ingredients:)

But your cuppies look so yummy!

marae said...

hiya C! i just wanted to let you know i nominated you for the E for Excellence award over on my blog...THANK YOU for helping me when i was getting started with all my incessant Q's.

Anonymous said...

Hello,the cupcakes looks so yummy!And they are so colour full!Its make my happy.I just started a blog so i can share my recepi.And they comes both in swedish and english!
i look towards to next cupcake.

Gigi said...

Cookies and cream cupcakes? Oh man, I would follow you any where for one! Yummy!

Randi said...

Your cousins child is actually your first cousin once removed. If you had a child, your child and your cousins child would be second cousins to each other!!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

i just made these last night! (well just the cake recipe!)

i loved it! thanks!