Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Monday, February 11, 2008

Rant!

Sorry to everyone who receives this in your e-mail. It's not important. Feel free to delete.

I had a job interview today in an "upscale" grocery store called The Market at Harbour Heights. Basically we have these local stores called Farm Fresh and this place is just a nicer one of those. Anyway, on my application it clearly says I'm applying for a job in the bakery department. I have a friend who works there and she said it was a fun job. So I go in for my interview at 2:30. She's supposed to meet me at a table near Starbucks (inside the grocery store). The woman doesn't even know I'm there! I wait until 3:00. Then I go back to customer service to find out where she is. She's in a meeting or something! Nice. Around 3:15 she meets me and interviews me. Half an hour later, I'm doing great in my interview, not nervous at all (which is so not me)... Then she wraps it up by saying "Well, we don't have any open positions in the bakery, but we can put you in Starbucks." WTF?? Why did I just spend an hour in a freezing cold grocery store answering cliche interview questions to get offered a job at Starbucks? I don't even like Starbucks. I get enjoyment out of a 90 cent cup of coffee at 7-11. Can you imagine how ticked off I was? Ugh... She could've at least told me they weren't hiring in the bakery department this morning when she called to schedule my interview.

I'm turning down the job. Feel free to chime in on the subject.

14 comments:

Kim said...

What a waste of your time! I'd be pissed too.

Anonymous said...

Obviously not professional at all. Coming from an HR background she should have clearly read the application to see what you were applying for. Waste of time!!

I guess this means something bigger and better is going to come along. That is their loss.

Carrie @carrieloves said...

That was incredibly rude & unprofessional of the interviewer... very sneaky & underhanded, too. I wouldn't take the job either, just tell her you're available when a position opens up in the bakery {if you still want to work there.}

Anonymous said...

Oooh...unfair! Starbucks? Starbucks?! What was she thinking?

city said...

Ahh there is nothing worse than being mucked around for a job interview. But the whole offering you a position at Starbucks is kinda weird when you were going for a bakery position. Good luck on the job hun!

Anonymous said...

I just read your rant--sorry the day didn't go as you hoped. I am very new to this internet blogging and I am VERY MUCH older than you but I have enjoyed the few recipes that I have gotten from your site. You really sound like an innovative baker--I think you should try to link up with a caterer or someone who plans showers --Don't let this get you down -- get those creative juices going on planning your own way!

shannie cakes said...

i completely feel your pain. by the time my local co-op decided they did want to hire me for the bakery i was going home to florida for a month. this week i was going to make like 4 dozen cupcakes and drop them off at local coffee shops/bakeries as sort of a hire me if you ever get anything open gester and now my stupid "real" job has me working ever single day this week for 45 hours... and im a part timer! blah.

CWYT said...

ugh! much empathy. i haven't been in such an extreme situation but i get very annoyed and sometimes upset when people flake out on commitments that they promised to, ESPECIALLY when the people are so-called professionals. it's not like her time was more important than yours just because she's the hirer and you're the interviewee. you should get back at her by opening your own bakery right next to their store haha :) your cupcakes certainly look delicious enough to knock them out of business

Stephanie said...

This same thing happened to my husband. We drove four hours (in late December in Pennsylvania), stayed overnight, got schmoozed by potential practice partners (he's an MD) and then during his actual interview, he's told "Well the position was filled a couple of months ago." His response was, "So why are you interviewing me? Why are you putting us up in a hotel and paying travel expenses?" Oh b/c they wanted to put him in a place where no one would interview for b/c of where it is. The Starbucks of central PA, I guess it was ;)

Anonymous said...

Dang it. I can totally understand your frustration, but if I were you I wouldn't post job frustrations on your web site. I'd hate for your next employer to find this post and get the wrong idea about you.

Sorry about your day yesterday.

Carla said...

That sucks you didn't get a bakery job, but at least you had some practice interviewing.

Anonymous said...

i'd be ticked off too! i would have asked her right then & there why she didn't say earlier that they didn't have any openings in the bakery. i also would have told her how unprofessional she is, espcially to make you wait so long.

Bianca said...

What a bummer. I'd have been pissed too :(

Anonymous said...

The SAME thing happened to me.

I applied for a bakery position, got called, and went in for an interview. We got to the end of the 45 minute interview, and the manager says "Well, we don't have any bakery positions open right now, but we'll get your foot in the door and start you off as a bagger." So, I took the job bagging groceries and mopping spilled milk.

Guess what? They never moved me to the bakery. After bugging them for six months, I gave up and quit.

But I mean, wtf? Why would they even call you if they had nothing available? Stupid grocery stores.