Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, December 7, 2007

Gingerbread Cupcakes w/ Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting

I was feeling really creative, so I decided to randomly choose these gingerbread cupcakes and make little tiny gingerbread houses to go with them! The houses are made out of graham crackers and royal icing. The cupcakes were very delicious, but maybe a little too much molasses for my taste. Everyone else said they were yummy! And if I may say so myself, this is the best cream cheese frosting I've ever tasted!

ingredients yummy batter!ready for the oven! baked perfectly and cooling!My tiny graham cracker neighborhood!Aren't they adorable? Slightly time consuming to make, but fun!Some of the cupcakes couldn't wait to be frosted!I couldn't decide: Beside the cupcake...
...or ON IT!? Then I played around with spray food coloring and sprinkles.

Recipe from Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella.

MY NOTES: I omitted the lemon zest from the cupcake recipe. I couldn't find light molasses, so my cupcakes had a strong molasses flavor.

Gingerbread Cupcakes

Makes 20-24 cupcakes

1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2/3 cup light molasses
2 teaspoons lemon zest (I omitted this)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup sour cream

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F (350 F for dark pans). Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add the egg, molasses, and lemon zest to creamed mixture. Beat well.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
4. Add portions of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with portions of the sour cream, until they are completely integrated, about 30 seconds.
5. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on a wire rack.

Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1. In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
2. Slowly sift in the confectioners sugar and continue beating. Mix until all lumps are gone. Add the vanilla and ginger and mix until fully integrated.


11 comments:

Mallow said...

I can't wait to see the cream cheese frosting recipe!

Gigi said...

Yummy looking cupcakes! Love the gingerbread houses :)

Anonymous said...

Those look sooo good. I wish I liked cream cheese frosting. And the gingerbread houses are adorable.

Natalie said...

love the tiny houses, you're awesome!

Anonymous said...

love this!! i'm linking back to this from my site: allthingscupcake.com adorable cupcake gingerbread house!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

the cupcakes and gingerbread houses look spectacular! so festive for the holiday season :0)

Sarah said...

Any hope of this recipe being posted before Christmas? I would love to make them for Christmas Eve!

Carla said...

Merry Christmas!! :)

Stephany Benbow said...

I just made these today! I haven't tasted one yet since I have a toothache, but they look fantastic. I put mini gingerbread on them. I'll try to post pictures on my blog tomorrow.

Stephany Benbow said...

There up!

Anonymous said...

it would be a shame to eat one of these, it looks so good :)