Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, August 31, 2007

Chocolate Cinnamon Cupcakes

I had tons of cinnamon cream cheese frosting leftover from Tuesday night's cupcakes. I wanted to use it before it went bad, so on the spur of the moment I decided to make Chocolate Cinnamon Cupcakes! I bought a book, Cupcakes by Susanna Tee, from Ross the other day for $4.99. I found a chocolate cupcake recipe that was paired with cream cheese frosting. I decided to add cinnamon to the batter and use my own cinnamon cream cheese frosting.... However, things did not turn out so well. I'm now starting to wonder if the price of the book reflects the limited number of recipes OR the quality of the recipes.

ingredients (that's cinnamon on top of the flour!)
the batter was REALLY thick, like brownie batter
Supposedly the recipe makes 18... I got 10
(9 here because I ate one already)
They were very dry. The tops were hard as a rock.

I ate one as soon as it came out of the oven, and it was delicious but almost impossible to eat because of the dryness. Needless to say, I did not waste my frosting on these. I'll use it on something else.

I noticed something was odd about this recipe when it used words like "scant" and "generous" instead of exact measurements. I also thought it was weird that it only called for 2 tbsp of milk. And WHAT THE CRAP kind of measurement is "scant 1 5/8"!!!! I'll post the recipe just in case someone wants to try it out or tweek it and make it better. I might make it again and change a few things.

MY NOTES: I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon. I only got 10 cupcakes (AKA brick-cakes).

Chocolate Cinnamon Cupcakes
Makes 18 cupcakes

6 tbsp butter, softened, or soft margarine
1/2 cup superfine sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp milk
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
scant 1 5/8 cups self-rising white flour
generous 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (my own addition)

* Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Put 18 paper baking cases in 2 muffin pans, or put 18 double-layer paper cases on a baking sheet.

* Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Add the milk, then fold in the chocolate chips. Sift in the flour and cocoa, then fold into the mixture. Spoon the batter into the paper cases and smooth the tops.

* Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until well risen and springy to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Who the bloody hell has a 5/8 measuring cup?!? What did you use? I would have given up right then. It looks like not enough milk, for sure. If you still have that frosting, make French toast cupcakes. Mmm.

Mahek said...

HI
I AM SO HAPPY I FOUND YOUR SITE SUCH GREAT PRESENTATION AND PHOTOS I HAVE EVEN SUBSCRIBED TO YOUR SITE SO THAT I KNOW WHEN YOU BAKE A NEW CUPCAKE GIVE MY BEST WISHES TO YOUR FATHER ON HIS BIRTHDAY
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE PHOTOS OF THE CUPCAKES BAKED FOR PAPA....

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Natalie, I looked up the measurement on a conversion website and found that half of 5/8 is equal to 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon. So I doubled that and used 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons. Ohhh yeah... FRENCH TOAST CUPCAKES!

Mahek, THANK YOU! YOUR CAPITAL LETTERS MAKE ME EXCITED! :D

Anonymous said...

I Cheated and used the Betty Croker Devils cake mix and added Cinnimon to it with Cinnimon butter Icing For a charity bake sale and OMG!! they where very yum..