Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, May 2, 2008

Kitchen Sink Cookies


These cookies are called Kitchen Sink Cookies because everything is in them except the kitchen sink! That's totally an exaggeration of course. I'm not sure how delicious they'd be with wooden spoons and paper towels mixed in. Anyway, I'm not usually a cookie person. If I am faced with a decision, I'll always choose cake over cookies. But yesterday the mood struck me to bake cookies. I searched and searched for a recipe, but nothing was jumping out at me. Finally I just took a bit from a few recipes and came up with these yummy masterpieces this morning! Some bites taste like an oatmeal raisin cookie. Some bites taste like a tollhouse chocolate chip cookie. Some bites are chewy. Some bites are crunchy. But all bites are fantastic! These are most delicious if you microwave them for a few seconds before eating them.
ingredientscookie dough (no walnuts, read to the bottom to find out why)
ready for the oven
cooling
Soooooo tasty!!
After the first 9 cookies were in the oven, I noticed the bowl of chopped walnuts still sitting on the counter! So I added half of them to the second half of the cookie dough. It was a miracle that I ended up with 9 cookies w/o walnuts and 9 cookies with walnuts. Almost like I did it on purpose... almost.

MY NOTES: I used 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp vanilla butter nut flavoring. I used a cookie scoop that holds 2 tbsp of cookie dough.

Kitchen Sink Cookies (my recipe adapted from like 5 other recipes)
Makes 18 cookies

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped and toasted walnuts

1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add egg and beat until fully incorporated. Mix in vanilla extract. With the mixer on it's lowest speed, slowly add the flour until almost incorporated. Mix in oats, then with a rubber spatula fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts, coconut and raisins. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake one sheet at a time for 13-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheets. Transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.

10 comments:

Tanja said...

Yum! I love making these kind of potluck cookies -- especially when I'm in the mood for baking...and it's cool outside :) Yours sound most delicious, too!

Tiggs said...

ok you've inspired me. I just pulled out the sprinkles dark chocolate mix and I'm making them tonight. I'm using different icing than what's on the package and will probably leave off the sprinkles candy dot b/c it tastes terrible. I'll post a pic on my blog later.

marae said...

those look YUMMY!!!! i luv cookies. i made a lot of really yummy cookies @ christmas..and then my coworker made these yummy PB ones that have a mini snickers in the middle. i have been meaning to make them soon.

Sophie said...

cool these are like an all-in-one cookie :). I just discovered that crushed cornflakes is another cool cookie ingredient! Strange, hu? It gives the cookies a really nice texture though :D.

LadyCakes said...

YUM!!! i wanted cookies so bad today too!!! i ended up making nutella linzer cookies...this recipe would have been perfect... YUM YUM YUM

Anonymous said...

So funny! Sat. nite, 930 pm and I was tired but I wanted to bake something quick. I'm saving up some special cupcakes for Mother's Day so I decided to do something with all this oatmeal (winter breakfast staple) I have so I baked white chocolate walnut cranberry oatmeal cookies. They turned out more cakey than chewy, butt still good. Don't get me started on how white chocolate isn't really chocolate. ~ Sam, NC

Anonymous said...

I have just stumbled upon your blog. I love the clean design and fantastic photos. I am a blogger myself and always thought that design was key and you have certainly captured that! There are so many food blogs out there these days and being different to all the others is key. I have just started www.ifoods.tv which is a website for chefs, foodies and food bloggers to hand out, share recipes, photos and videos. When i was blogging I always thought i should be getting more traffic as my blog was getting lost in the masses of stuff out there so my new site is aimed at giving food bloggers and chefs a bigger platform! Hope you enjoy it and keep up the good writing and design here! I have now bookmarked you so will be regular reader, Cheers!

Honeyed Hashette said...

Yum! My child hood friend's grandmother always made these cookies. She called them "monster" cookies and used chocolate chips, m&ms and peanuts. So good!

Chef Erik said...

Oh yea! I'm a huge fan of cookies, some call me the cookie monster. They look super duper yummy.

Rachel said...

Great recipe! I was looking for something to use up leftover coconut and found these! I made these cookies yesterday and they are a hit! Great texture and lots going on! Yum, keep the great recipes coming!