Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mini Margarita Cupcakes for Cinco de Mayo!!!

This morning I "tweeted" asking what kind of cupcakes I should make for Cinco de Mayo. I had planned on making Dulce de Leche cupcakes, using some of the dulce de leche that my friend Maela was sending me from Argentina. However, the US postal service has really proved their reputation to me by losing the package for a week and a half! Thanks guys!! Anyway, the majority of my Twitter friends suggested Margarita Cupcakes! These cupcakes are for: @ActuallyNevis, @hswoap, @quinn1083, and @Iheartcupcakes2. :D

I'm getting into my "duck and weave" stance. I don't want to get punched in the face when I tell you I made these with cake mix. I've said it 1,000 times, so I'll say it 1,001 times. I grew up on cake mix. I discovered my love for cupcakes over a box of Duncan Hines red velvet cake mix. While I prefer to bake from scratch (and you already know that if you love me and read my blog all the time!), I'm not going to snub my nose at cake mix! Plus, by posting this recipe, I'm making it super easy for all you 9 to 5er's who just won't have time to make cupcakes from scratch tonight! :D Besides, once you see the recipe I made up for Margarita SMBC, I have a feeling you'll forgive me! ;P
Margarita Cupcakes (recipe from Cupcake Fun by Wilton)
1 pkg (18.25 ounces) white cake mix (no pudding in the mix)
1 can (10 ounces) frozen Margarita mix thawed (undiluted) (I used Sauza)
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lime zest grated (about 1 lime)

Preheat oven to 350° F. Line standard muffin pan with baking cups.
In large bowl, combine cake mix, Margarita mix, egg whites and vegetable oil using electric mixer (30 seconds on low, 2 minutes on medium). Stir in lime zest; mix completely. Fill prepared pans 2/3 full.
Bake 22-24 minutes (about 12-14 minutes for minis) or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
Cool in pan on cooling rack 5-8 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely.

Margarita Swiss Meringue Buttercream (my own recipe)
5 egg whites
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened but cool
2 tablespoons tequila
Zest and juice of 1/2 a lime

Put egg whites, sugar, and pinch of salt into the top of a double boiler over a pan of simmering water. Whisking constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm (about 160 degrees).
Pour heated egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg white mixture on high speed until it forms stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until fluffy and cooled, about 7 minutes.
Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium speed, add butter two tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Increase speed to medium-high; continue beating until frosting appears thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low; add tequila, lime zest, and juice and mix until incorporated.


Overall rating on a scale of 1-5
Moistness: 5
Tenderness: 5
Frosting: 5

26 comments:

.jimaie.marie. said...

omg, i sooooooooo want to try these now!!!! YUM. and the pics of them are just too stinkin cute. They're PRETTY!

Nevis said...

Hooray! You went with the margarita cupcakes!!! They look delicious!!!!! And who cares what those snotty cake people say. Cake mix rocks!

Anonymous said...

oh my i love this recipe!! :)

Dani said...

great job!!!!! :)

Paris Pastry said...

Awww, you don't have to defend yourself for using cake mix!! This cupcake looks amazing! I especially love the cupcake liner.

Unknown said...

Yum! Beautiful!

Snooky doodle said...

oh these look fabolous and so yumy :)

Amanda said...

I love the thought of a limey cupcake. And the cupcake in the glass looks so cute. :)

Anonymous said...

oooh i have those same cupcake liners! and i love your frosting, it looks too cute!

A Slice of Concentrated Love said...

Is that what I missed tonight?!?! How dare this school keep me from margarita cupcakes! lol Good job. I'll have to try them

emerzim said...

I'm all about a doctored cake mix. Those look great!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I've got nothing against box mixes. I prefer to bake from scratch but when there are time constraints suped up mixes are just the thing. I don't know about anyone else but no one's ever complained and have some of the tastiest desserts!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

They look so pretty! And nothing wrong with using a packet mix now and again ;)

Mermaid Sews said...

Nothing wrong with cake mix, I grew up on it too, and loved the cake mix bible when I was a budding baker. We all know you can bake - lol! I have yet to try SMBC - how's that for sacreligious??? Happy Cinco to you.

apparentlyjessy said...

Yey! I have those cupcake liners too! I love the look of these cupcakes and the two tone green sugar crystals are really effective!
I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with cake mix when time doesn't permit!

Ally said...

I read the blog all the time but I've never posted a comment before. These look amazing as usual and I really want to try them but I'm just wondering if it matters for the SMBC that I only have a handheld mixer with the standard attachment blades. Does the whisk/paddle switch make a big difference?? :)

Sweet as Coco said...

WOW! this looks FAB!!!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Ally, I've never attempted SMBC with a handmixer. I've also never heard of anyone doing it successfully. SMBC takes a LOT of time on high power in a standmixer. It would take even longer with a handmixer. And I'm not sure if a handmixer has power that SMBC needs to whip it into shape!

GroovyGirl said...

those sound delish...I will definitely make those for a sunny afternoon getogether! thks for sharing.

Jessica said...

They look amazing! I'll have to try this out. Thanks so much for sharing such a delightful treat =D

Ally said...

durn. guess I'll have to wait til I buy the hubby his christmas present this year. ;) thanks for the warning though, cause I probably would have attempted it and ended up wasting lots of butter etc.

Karen said...

We had a party this weekend, where alcohol was going to be one of the main dishes. :) I made these cupcakes, as minis (got 80 minis!) and they went over REALLY well.

My SMBC wasn't really frosting-like, so I stuck it in the fridge for a bit before piping frosting on. Any tips on how to make it more frosting-like?

Jenny said...

I'm having a Cinco de Mayo-themed birthday party next month, and I made a test recipe of these cupcakes this weekend. I have to tell you that your frosting is AMAZING. It's so fluffy and creamy and the flavor balance is terrific. Thanks for sharing!

Patricia said...

I have bookmarked your website, and come back here every time that I need inspiration on some daring flavor combinations! Cinco de Mayo es "mañana" and so, today I gave this recipe a try! AWESOME!
I didn't have Margarita Mix, so I substituted with orange juice and "sour mix" for the cake.

I like my cupcakes filled. Today I rocked some lemon curd by adding Tequila and Grand Marnier to it before filling the cakes... :D

And the frosting was delicious! Soft, fluffy, perfect sweetness!

Thanks for sharing all these recipes!!!! :D

MBMH said...

I made these cupcakes last night for Cinco de Mayo and must attest ... they're FABULOUS! And, no one knew they were a cake mix! :)

margaret said...

Made these last night and they were great!