Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Crystal Light® Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes

I've been so busy lately that I didn't get a chance to post a new cupcake poll for this week. So, I let Josh (my boyfriend) choose again! Lucky him, two of his favorite cupcakes in a row. :) He really loves bright-flavored cupcakes, so we sat at the kitchen table brainstorming cupcake flavors. Eventually, he thought of a GENIUS idea! What if I mix Crystal Light sugar-free lemonade mix into some cupcake batter and frosting to make a lemonade cupcake?!?!!? That kid has an awesome brain! I followed his advice and made up a recipe that is totally delicious. The cupcake is soft and moist with a nice lemony zing. The frosting tastes just like the raspberry lemonade. It's so creamy and refreshing. These cupcakes are fantastic for summer! Enjoy them with a nice cold glass of Crystal Light (they should be paying me for this kind of advertisement!).
PS: I figured out that the secret to perfect cupcakes is making them with a hand mixer as opposed to a stand mixer. I've found that stand mixers tend to over-mix the batter. But they're great for making frosting!
Ingredients (I later added another packet of lemonade to the recipe) Mixing the lemonade with milk.
All scooped and ready to bake!
Cooling...
Luscious, creamy frosting!
Pretty swirls of frosting. All fancied up!
These are original recipes.

Crystal Light® Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temp
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2 packets Crystal Light® On The Go Raspberry Lemonade mix
zest of one lemon

Frosting
4 oz. Neufchâtel cheese (or cream cheese), at room temp
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons water
1 packet Crystal Light® On The Go Raspberry Lemonade mix

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, whisk or sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating on high speed for 30 seconds between each addition. Scrape sides of the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula.
5. In a measuring cup, combine milk and lemonade. Mix well.
6. Add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. (You should have 3 additions of flour and 2 additions of milk.) Mix just until flour is incorporated.
7. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (a few crumbs are fine). Cool on a wire rack. When cupcakes are completely cool, make the frosting.
8. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on high speed for 20 seconds. Slowly add confectioners' sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined.
9. In a small measuring cup, mix water and lemonade until completely dissolved. Add lemonade mixture to the large bowl. Beat on high speed until frosting is thick and creamy.

Overall rating on a scale of 1-5
Moistness: 5
Tenderness: 5
Frosting: 5

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are abosultey the cutest thing ever <333bklazy

CB said...

Yum! I am a BIG berry lemonade fan. GENIUS. Definitely have to add these to my must-bake list.
/Clara

Snooky doodle said...

These look really prety in pink. Ha you re really creative. never thought of adding lemonade to cupcakes :-) Nice job.

Page said...

I just say that those look so refreshingly delicious!!! An amazing idea and beautiful presentation! You have an amazing talent!

Anonymous said...

I love pink cupcakes! What a great idea using the Crystal Light packets. My mom always buys me boxes of those things I rarely use them. Maybe I'll try this out.

Nevis said...

WOW! Yummy...I'll have to check into this. Thanks for the recipe!

marae said...

super cute...i have been wanting to take the pink lemonade frozen puree thing i have in the freezer for making that fakey minute maid lemonade and tossing it into batter for some cupcakes but have not gotten around to it yet.

how did you do the frosting, with a small spatula? super cute swirls! also since my KA stand has been dead in the shop, my hand mixer is invaluable!

Gigi said...

Very cute! I love the pink icing. It looks so light and fluffy!

Jen said...

I love raspberry lemonade, can't wait to try these!
BTW, the caramel cupcakes have been requested again they were so good. I'll be posting them tomorrow!

Coby said...

This must be a 'like mother like son' moment for you:) Never heard of the lemonade mix (I'm in Aus) but admire your creative and adventurous cupcake spirit! Well done to you both, I will just have to imagine the flavour:)

Unknown said...

Very nice!! I LOVE the lemoande flavor. So summertime!

holly* said...

i'm saving and printing this recipe NOW and making it as soon as husband returns!

also, you're banana split bday cake looks fabulous. i'm so craving a cakie banana split now!

Tito and The Gang said...

AMAZING!

CookiePie said...

Adorable, happy pink cupcakes!!!

Sophie said...

Very cute idea, I especially like their little 'outfits' and the fact that they're pink :).

Ivy said...

How frickin' adorable!
The lemon and the straw make this cupcake sooo cute!

Jen said...

You're absolutely right- I'll never make regular buttercream again! And I have you to thank for that! ;)

Suze said...

what a GREAT idea! Oh my gosh! That's awesome! I have a TON of Raspberry and a TON of Lemonade crystal light at home...I'll bet I could mix them and viola'!
Your b-day cake was beautiful! So glad it came out well, and that you are enjoying your job!

Stephany Benbow said...

Kool-aid is pretty fun to add too. I was living in Mexico one winter and wanted to decorate a cake for Christmas. None of the stores in the little town where I was staying had food colouring, but they had plenty of cool aid! It turned out to be some of the yummiest frosting I ever made.
Maybe I should pick some kool-aid up today...

Megan said...

That looks so good. Love the straw very cute touch!

freakgirl said...

Great little swirls -- any tips on how to get them so nice and neat?

Joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love how your frosting always turns out so amazing!! Mine is always so runny, like soup!! How do you get it like that?

We Are Not Martha said...

Woww I'm loving this idea!! The uses for Crystal Light are endless. Yess!

Sues

Lucie said...

If only we had instant lemonade mixes over here in France... but then again I would eat it all up with a spoon and there would never be any left for cupcakes... They look awesome though!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Joy, you're a little mistaken... 1 stick of butter is 1/2 cup. :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Lauren, make sure your kitchen isn't too warm when you're making frosting. The main component is butter which becomes VERY soft at room temperature.

Spiceaholic said...

I was just thinking about trying something like this! I'll have to give it a try!

Dave said...

I tried these and thought they were awesome! Very sweet, but with enough tartness from the lemonade. I want to try this recipe to make Arnold Palmer cupcakes with iced tea mix in the batter and lemonade mix in the frosting... or does that sound disgusting? :)

Heather said...

love the idea! trying it out with a cake I'm making, but instead of using lemonade I'm going to use an off brand of crystal light and using a margarita mix flavor. So hoping it turns out :D