Flour Child Bakery opens in Virginia Beach!

My mom and I just opened a bakery in Virginia Beach!! "Like" us to stay updated! If you care to read our blog, it's flourchildbakery.blogspot.com.



Friday, April 27, 2007

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Hello bloggers and blog-readers! This is my very first post.

Let me start out by saying what this blog is all about. Just recently I noticed that every time I saw a picture of a cupcake or even thought about those mini delights, I got a special feeling. That feeling of enchantment quickly turned into an infatuation when I started making cupcakes using boxed mixes and canned icing. However, after several misfortunes with melting canned icing, I decided to not only "can" the idea of canned icing (oh yeah, pun intended!), but to stop using boxed cake mix as well. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good box cake! But I really want to venture out into the world of flour, butter, sugar, eggs, etc...
This entry is my final farewell to boxed cake mix and canned icing.
These are Duncan Hines® red velvet cupcakes with Pillsbury® whipped cream cheese icing.
Click for larger image.


Any suggestions for my first REAL cupcake endeavor... Something for a novice but slightly challenging? Also, since I'm very new to this, can anyone suggest a good cupcake cookbook?

Thank you.

12 comments:

freakgirl said...

I love the book "Crazy About Cupcakes." There are a lot of fun ideas for both cake and frosting in there; it will keep you very busy! :)

Rachel said...

cupcakes galore is a great book!

Marilyn P. Sushi said...

Yay! Another cupcake blog, there can never be too many! :)

Anonymous said...

My recommendation would be to nix shortening/margarine out of your baking and use only unsalted real butter. Nothing compares!

For a good basic vanilla cupcake, google Amy Sedaris's Vanilla cupcakes - they are easy and really tasty.

Chez said...

I second Cupcakes Galore! Lots of good recipes and fun decorating ideas.

LiSbEtH said...

hmmm cupcakes.. I like..

Brittnee Maxfield said...

I second that- the Amy Sedaris recipe for Tattle Tail's Vanilla Cupcakes is amazing, especially with the magnolia bakery vanilla buttercream frosting! Those are my two favorites, and easy for a first attempt!

Natalie said...

I use 125 Best Cupcake Recipes all the time.

Stef said...

Just noticed that we both started on this cupcake baking blog thing about the same time. Your cookie dough ones sound yummy. I'm definitly going to have to keep reading your blog for some more ideas.

cramitinyourface said...

dang
your FIRST cupcake!!
wowwwwwwwwww
so cute

afrataidinbandaran said...

just finished reading your whole blog...

Joey said...

I Must say. Reading ur food blog and ur personal one. VERY inspiring. My sister and I love baking cupcakes, and she has always wanted to own her own bakery.
Goodluck, and maybe we will get off our asses and do something about it too now =)